Old 05-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Florida Igloo

Well it's been a while since I posted and I am a little embarrassed by my slow progress but I am still chugging along.

I got my vent built with a plywood form (make sure to build it smaller and shim it to where you want it because that makes it so much easier to remove).

I went through my curing fires without any drama.

I installed the offset flue which I fabbed out of clay flue liner. I bought an 8"x8" and a 13"x13". I cut the 13" in half lengthwise and just layed it across the inner dome as you can see in the picture. I filled the gaps below with vermiculite concrete and skimmed that with a cement, fire clay sand mix to smooth out what would be the the bottom of the flue. I had to fool around with the transitions from the vent to the flue and from the 13" flue to the 8" but it wasn't too bad. And it draws like a champ!

More to come....

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Florida Igloo-wfo-091.jpg   Florida Igloo-wfo-094.jpg   Florida Igloo-wfo-097.jpg   Florida Igloo-wfo-007.jpg  
Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Peasant

I at some point I wanted to test out how this could work as an offset smoker so i made up a temporary fire box and a conduit to the flue into the oven and smoked some ribs. They turned out pretty good so it seems to work well. Not sure how my final fire box will be configured yet but I am definitely going to do it.

I am now laying up the brick on the outside it is a lot of brick to lay but I am proceeding. I am up high enough now that today I installed the insulation. I have been holding off to try to keep it dry. It rains here a lot in the summer so I thought it would be a good idea to give any water that may get into my insulation layer a way to get out. So I drilled a few weep holes down at the base of the outer dome and if filled the first couple of inches with vermiculite. That way if water does get in there it will sit at the bottom in that layer and not in the ceramic batts. I installed the batts today and it covered the oven pretty much but I plan to fill what is left of the space with vermiculite.

Also the brick is getting a little hard to lay because of the angle of the outer dome so I plan to get mix some vermiculite concrete and shape it to the dome shape, let it set up an just lay the last courses of brick on that until I get to the chimney.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Florida Igloo-imgp0240.jpg   Florida Igloo-imgp0251.jpg   Florida Igloo-imgp0253.jpg  
Old 05-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is going to look fantastic!

I like the chimney in the middle, looks like a good and simple solution you came up with to do that, and those bricks are lovely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Peasant

Thanks Frances.

I am also taking a cue from your oven. You may have noticed the two course band of brick right above the soldier course. Those are cheaper brick that I inset about 1/2 inch and I plan to do a decorative tile band there. Probably with a blue glazed handcrafted Mexican tile and a thin border on the top and bottom.

Thinking these for the tiles

Mexican Tile - Crackle Ceramic Mexican Handcrafted Tile
or
Mexican Tile - Terra Nova Classic Superior Quality Handcrafted Ceramic Solid Color Tile

and for the border I am really struggling - I need something very thin I am thinking either a thin pencil slate molding which I am having a difficult time finding, or a bronze liner like the ones at the bottom of this page.

Metal Tiles - Bronzework Studio - Tile Patterns

Problem is the are both expensive options. May end up with no molding.

Lee
Old 05-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I didn't notice the inset bricks until you pointed them out... very cool idea and those Mexican tiles are beautiful!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Peasant

It's been a while Since I have posted but I thought I would share my progress. Things have been going good if not a little slow. Here are some pictures of my outer dome finishing up. I ended up using a combination of ceramic batts, loose perlite and perlite concrete. I used the perlite concrete mainly on the top so as to have some solid support for the chimney that would be going up from there.

I ended up precasting the base for the chimney brick, the brick cap at the top and the solid flue cap. It worked out pretty well.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Florida Igloo-wfo-113.jpg   Florida Igloo-wfo-115.jpg   Florida Igloo-wfo-120.jpg   Florida Igloo-wfo-116.jpg   Florida Igloo-wfo-118.jpg  

Old 08-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Peasant

More pictures - going up with the brick chimney and flues. Precast form for my upper rain cap and the dome completely topped out. Thought I would share a picture of my first pizza also. Need a little more practice and tweaking on my recipe but it did not turn out too bad.

I still have to brick up the sides of the base which I have already started. I just brought in my second and hopefully final cube of Old Chicago brick and am going to try to hit it hard this weekend. Hope to post some more pics after this weekend's progress.

I Also need to do the outside and landing area top. After giving it a lot of thought, and with the good experience I had with precasting the concrete pieces for the chimney, I have settled on trying a precast colored concrete top. I have some ideas on that that I will share when I get a little closer. I plan on doing some small mock up pieces so I can make sure I get the colors, mixes and methodology right and will report back. Any experiences or tips with concrete tops you guys can throw my way would be great.

Peace Out

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Florida Igloo-wfo-121.jpg   Florida Igloo-wfo-122.jpg   Florida Igloo-wfo-126.jpg   Florida Igloo-wfo-119.jpg  
Old 08-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Master Builder

Somehow I missed this thread, but glad I caught it today! Your oven looks great! I reall like the old brick and the central chimney. Your doing a great job making a very unique oven.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Peasant

Knocked out a good bit of the brick around the base this weekend. I finished up the brick under the hearth before that. I debated about whether it would be worth the effort. It wasn't too bad if you don't have claustrophobia.
Attached Thumbnails
Florida Igloo-imgp0666.jpg   Florida Igloo-imgp0660.jpg   Florida Igloo-imgp0662.jpg   Florida Igloo-imgp0659.jpg  

See my oven thread at :
Old 08-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Journeyman

Nice!!

well done on a great original design!