Old 06-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: The First Pizza!

Well, I didn't do a very good job at watching the watch...

I did a very good job of supervising the consumption of beer, however!

My best guess is that with oven dome temp of around 650 f, the pizza was in the oven for about three or four minutes... (maybe a bit more?)

It was a tasty pie... I do remember that part!

JED
Old 06-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Apprentice

Congratulations! I remember when I first heard the words "this is the best pizza I have ever eaten". I have been making pizzas about 7 months now and this weekend's was the best. I had been cooking the pizzas at too high a temp for awhile, and they tended to char. By backing the heat off to about 750 or 800, they still cooked in 90 seconds, but were evenly cooked, and thanks to Dave in San Angelo (asudavew) I am better at throwing the dough. In the future plan a little more to include a nice pork shoulder or pot roast to stick into the oven after it is cooling down. You will learn to hate wasting the wonderful heat! Good luck
Old 06-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosskraft View Post
and thanks to Dave in San Angelo (asudavew) I am better at throwing the dough.
Thanks for the kind words. I love making pizzas!

Quote:
In the future plan a little more to include a nice pork shoulder or pot roast to stick into the oven after it is cooling down. You will learn to hate wasting the wonderful heat! Good luck
Definitely take advantage of the retained heat.
It makes excellent goodies the next day~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 06-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Master Builder

Don't forget about things like oven dried tomatoes and fruits as well on the second day and sometimes the third day.
Exciting!
Dutch
Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchoven View Post
Don't forget about things like oven dried tomatoes and fruits as well on the second day and sometimes the third day.
Exciting!
Dutch
Hey Dutch,

How do you dry fruit in the oven? Just cut into desired size, lay out on a cookie sheet, stick in the oven with the door closed until done? What temp do you try to start at?

I'm thinking this may be one of the finest uses of the WFO, if I can figure out the basics on how to dry things...

Thanks,

JED
Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Hey Dutch,

How do you dry fruit in the oven? Just cut into desired size, lay out on a cookie sheet, stick in the oven with the door closed until done? What temp do you try to start at?

I'm thinking this may be one of the finest uses of the WFO, if I can figure out the basics on how to dry things...

Thanks,

JED
Just slice a few apples and give it a go.
I have't tried it yet... but i might!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Hey Dutch,

Thanks,

JED
That's pretty much got it. Some things you might want to use something like Reynolds Release foil or a light coating of spray oil. The one thing to remember is that you have to try to cut the pieces evenly so they all will dry equally and that thinner cuts can dry really fast. The dried tomatoes we did last year were fantastic and we did some apples as well and they were really good.
Best
Dutch