Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA

Good thinking that... Very true.

Thinking about it, lime is just there to improve water retention and elasticity in mortar...so as you say, it will set eventually just take a bit longer...

and isnt there some sort of self healing/autogenous healing with lime mortar? i.e. not allowing rot in cracks?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexi82 View Post
Good thinking that...
isnt there some sort of self healing/autogenous healing with lime mortar? i.e. not allowing rot in cracks?
They reckon it does. Can't see much evidence of it in my oven. In any case they are generally talking about micro cracking mortar, not healing cracks in concrete slabs. But it doesn't matter, you'll be fine.

I reckon a lot of things don't quite translate from brick walls in houses to domes.
The mortar in a brick wall really just holds the bricks apart at a set distance, allowing for minor discrepancies in brick size, etc, and if the mortar does crack a bit, it's OK if it takes years for lime crystals to grow across the crack and "heal" it.

In an oven, we are asking the mortar to do that, plus fill odd shaped gaps, and stick like baby s@#t to a blanket. All at 500 degrees C.

Whatever you do, do not overthink this.
Having already built one, you already know it just plain works and it's pretty difficult to screw it up.

Lay them bricks mate, and start cooking.
cobblerdave likes this.

Last edited by wotavidone; 02-13-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Laborer

yea not overthinking just ensuring I improve on the last one. I used ciment fondue last time (refractory mortar) but cost a bomb.

plus i've read lots of negatives about the refractory mortar on here...

and if we have enough clay in our brickies sand in perth to be fine then can't see why it wouldnt work! and if it wont then i'll go buy ciment fondue again!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
yea not overthinking just ensuring I improve on the last one. I used ciment fondue last time (refractory mortar) but cost a bomb.

plus i've read lots of negatives about the refractory mortar on here...

and if we have enough clay in our brickies sand in perth to be fine then can't see why it wouldnt work! and if it wont then i'll go buy ciment fondue again!
What was your ciment fondue based mix last time, and what did you think of the mortar it produced?. Was it a nice hard mortar that resisted wear and tear from flying oven tools?

I'm planning to experiment with a homemade cast dome.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Laborer

I used the manufacturers recommendations on the packet for the ciment fondue. It was pretty good, but found it hard to work with. Was very firm.

I never had any issues with it but it was in a barrel oven so i think less movement. Plus, i enclosed the whole thing so never saw how the mortar joints were after full firings...

cast dome be interesting....be expensive. its about 40 bucks a bag i think...
Old 02-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
I used the manufacturers recommendations on the packet for the ciment fondue. It was pretty good, but found it hard to work with. Was very firm.

I never had any issues with it but it was in a barrel oven so i think less movement. Plus, i enclosed the whole thing so never saw how the mortar joints were after full firings...

cast dome be interesting....be expensive. its about 40 bucks a bag i think...

hehe, heh. My oven is fully enclosed so you can't see the back of the mortar joints too. What the eye can't see, the heart doesn't grieve over, as my granny used to say.........
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
hehe, heh. My oven is fully enclosed so you can't see the back of the mortar joints too. What the eye can't see, the heart doesn't grieve over, as my granny used to say.........
Your granny is very wise
Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Laborer

took the form off the insulation layer...all good. little crumbly but only when u pick at it. otherwise pretty good. not perfect but good. will do the job!
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-14-06.24.33.jpg  
Old 02-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Laborer

started to lay the floor bricks..got through 3/4 but my son who decided he doesn't want to have his 2 hour sleep in the middle of the day anymore woke up after 1 hour!!! i think he knows when its oven time......so the rest will have to wait until tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-14-14.02.07.jpg   Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-2014-02-14-14.02.13.jpg  
Old 02-14-2014, 02:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Try laying on the 45 rather than they 90 if an edge pokes up you only have you peel glance of it rather than doing the dead stop thing. If you have to grind in years to come it will only be a corner rather than a whole edge.

Finally Started - Outdoor Kitchen in Perth, WA-image.jpg

No more complex cutting required really . This was all cut with angle grinder a brick bulster.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.