Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   Down Under Brick Dome Build (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/down-under-brick-dome-build-17603.html)

Cookie Monster 04-16-2012 03:40 PM

Down Under Brick Dome Build

2 Attachment(s)
G'Day Cobbers,

I have been looking on this site for a while and there are some bloody good builds on here. Some really top stuff!! I just hope mine turns out half as good as some of them.

My Mrs (The Boss) and I have finally decided on a location for the oven. It will be right down the back of the yard. We are planning on building an extension on the back of the house one day soon and dont want the oven to get in the way.

There was an old sandpit here which I have removed. I spent most of Sunday clearing it out and getting reading for the slab / formwork.

Cheers,

Matt

nissanneill 04-17-2012 05:54 AM

Re: Down Under Brick Dome Build

Hi Matt, and welcome aboard.
I have added you to the ever growing list of Aussie forum contributors.
A little word of advice, dig a beam footing and include a few reinforcing rods as the stand and oven will weigh in close to a ton and will need more than what looks like a 4" (100mm) slab!
Great to see that you are already up with the pics. Keep them coming.

Cheers.

Neill

brickie in oz 04-17-2012 11:17 PM

Hi Matt.

Dont put it too far from the house, once you start using it you will want to use it every weekend to do all manner off cooking, traipsing long distances to and fro from the kitchen especially with a hot tray of meat will become a chore. :)

Bacterium 04-18-2012 12:45 AM

....... couldn't agree more get it near house...... And also get it under cover, well at least the mouth of it so that you can cook whatever the weather. Welcome aboard anyway

Gary Mots 04-18-2012 04:28 PM

Make sure you get all of the roots from the trees out from under where the foundation is going to go. Just my $.02.

TropicalCoasting 04-18-2012 07:13 PM

Hard work to do that
You would kill those trees too
Just dont water near the slab and the roots should keep chasing water down deep and somewhere else

brianventura 04-18-2012 08:30 PM

I have to agree you don't want the oven too far from the house. If the plan is to build the extension to the house in the near future I guess it isn't a problem. The problem I had was construction slowed way down as I was busy cooking in my oven.

Mike D 04-18-2012 09:09 PM

You can't remove those big root unless you want the trees to fall over on your house or your oven (I am an Arborist). As well as those trees may get bigger and lift the slab/oven if you leave them. You need to talk to someone who knows those trees before you do anything. Picking the right spot for an oven can be the hardest part.
Good Luck,

Mike D

nissanneill 04-19-2012 02:36 AM

Matt,
those trees will cause you some heartache down the track as they grow. Even if you put down some serious foundations, the trees WILL LIFT THEM in time. I have numerous retaining walls with reinforced centre and have cracked over the 30 years since being built by tree roots.
Why not look at putting down some piers, 1000-1500mm down and supporting the footings on them OR put your oven on a steel trolley, make it mobile!
Just a thought.

Cheers.

Neill

Cookie Monster 04-19-2012 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
G’Day Guys,

I am glad I decided to put my build up on this site. It is good to get comments and suggestions from people who have been there and done it before. I am sure this will be a massive help along the way.

In regards to the location of the oven we have been looking at that for about 12 months now and it has probably moved at least 5 or 6 times. Down the back looks like where it will have to go. Our yard is long and narrow plus there is a double garage up near the house. Plus the other major factor is the extension we will be putting on is a big entertaining / dining area so it won’t be too far to walk with the food.
Additionally I am going to turn that back area into an outdoor kitchen with seating area.

The slab will be 6” and I still have a bit more digging to do. I have not been able to do anything lately with the weather we have been having around here. I have been talking to a few mates and looking at different options for footings. This might end up being a bit different but we will see what happens. Not much I can do about the trees as the council won’t let me chop them down I will just have to work around them.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Rain, rain and more rain...