Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Down Under Brick Dome Build

G'Day,

Just wondering if anyone has installed a damp proof course on their brick / block stand?

There is a lot of talk on here about keeping the over dry and protecting it from the elements.

What about rising damp?

Just a thought. I think I will definatley be installing it in my stand.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Don't even think.... just do it

Regards Dave
Old 04-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Laborer

Good idea Dave!! I will definately be putting one in.

I finished off the formwork on ANZAC Day and then poured the slab on Saturday.
Nothing special with the foundations as that was expensive enough for my budget.

I'm pretty happy with it considering it is the first slab of concrete I have ever poured.

Also had to set up a fence up to keep the dogs off it...

While the slab is curing I have a pile of second hand bricks to clean before I can start building the stand. I can't complain as I got them for free.
Attached Thumbnails
Down Under Brick Dome Build-formwork.jpg   Down Under Brick Dome Build-slab.jpg   Down Under Brick Dome Build-dog-proof.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Cleaned a few bricks before of there mortar....use your brick trowel... strike it the trowel edge just on the edge of the mortar and brick at 45 degree , just a quike blow. If a secound blow doesn't get a result try a blow right in the middle of the mortar at 90 degree and then back at the edge again . The brick trowel is lite enough not to damage your brick like a hammer. Trust me you'll figure it out real after a few bricks and you'll find that the trowel makes a real ring sound on a clean hit.
Check your first bricks with a hammer on the ground if a blow in the middle cause them to crummble into many sections....forget it.
If it breaks cleanly in 1/2 it should be strong enough to use.
I too built my oven on a budget just buy as you can afford and it'll happen

Regards Dave

Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-01-2012 at 04:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Laborer

G'Day Guys,

I am back after a bit of a break.

With the birth of our first baby back in May, Pizza Oven Building has been on the back burner. She is now 6 months old and we are settled in and into a bit of a routine so construction has resumed.

After finally cleaning enough bricks for the stand I got stuck into building it. It's pretty rough but not bad for my first ever bit of bricklaying. The bricks were 300mm long instead of 230mm so it was a bit confusing working out the bond.
Attached Thumbnails
Down Under Brick Dome Build-brickwork.jpg   Down Under Brick Dome Build-brickwork-2.jpg  
Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Laborer

Once the stand was complete I put the formwork up for the hearth slab.

I cant remember who it was but the tip to tape up the screws on the formwork to keep them clean was a great idea. Made taking the boards off a breeze.

I am glad this part has finished I can finally get started on the oven
Attached Thumbnails
Down Under Brick Dome Build-hearth-formwork.jpg   Down Under Brick Dome Build-wood-slab-floor.jpg   Down Under Brick Dome Build-hearth-pour.jpg   Down Under Brick Dome Build-poured-hearth.jpg   Down Under Brick Dome Build-hearth.jpg  

Old 11-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
A little baby girl....Congratulations!
Like the stand and top....neat work. But just in case you have forgottten a bit over the 6 months.....insulate insulate insulate.

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quality looking stand and hearth. Looking forward to seeing the oven construction. I guess it is your Summer now although I am not sure whether the Blue Mountains get snow or not, aren't they located west of Sydney?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Master Builder

That curb in front of you oven bother the heck out of me. I see myself stumbling with a shovel full of hot coals or a perfect pizza. Even if you get use to it family and friends may not. Maybe its just me, I tend to be the clumsy type.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Apprentice

Congratulations on your baby girl! I've got a couple of my own (plus two boys) - call me lucky.

Love the brick work. Looks like a larger brick size than we typically see around here - very handsome.

I don't mean to pile on, but I must say I share Laurentius's concern about that curb. You will be spending alot of quality time in front of the oven and you don't want to be stepping over and around that curb all day or stradling it while you're cooking.....Much worse having somebody get hurt. Have you thought about cutting an entry way through it? - might help to incorporate the oven with the rest of your yard.

Regards,
AT