Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Dominick's Pizza Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzachef View Post
Question - Are the oven floor brick mortared?

I ask because this would be contrary to the directions from James in the Forno-Bravo Plans.

If they are mortared please give some comment on the descision to do so.

Thanks, Bob
Sorry, I understand your question about the floor bricks being mortared now. I misunderstood it before.

The problem I had with the mason who built the oven is that he had ideas of his own how it should be done. He didn't follow the plans to the letter. He not only mortared the floor bricks but the dome bricks, too!

During the construction of the oven, I had too many personal things going on (divorce) and I was just not able to keep as close an eye on him as I should have.

One lesson from this experience would be to familiarize yourself with the details of the plans and make sure your builder understands them and can execute them. However, I have to also add that probably the only way to make absolutely sure that it gets done exactly according to plans is to build it yourself. It's sort of a double bind. Any craftsperson worthy of his or her name is going to have developed very personal ways of doing things. They'll nod at you when you ask them if they can follow the plans or if they ARE following the plans, but then go ahead and do it their own way. That's what I do in my work, anyway!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Serf

I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping to hear how the oven has been working out over the last few years? how did it handle the work load? did the morter in the floor of the oven cause issues? how did the outside weather?
thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Peasant

Thanks for your questions!

The oven has been great. I don't know how to judge whether the mortared floor and ceiling are a problem because I have nothing with which to compare performance. I've had no problems with cracks or heat leaks. I've made pizzas with snow on the roof of the oven without a single drop of melted snow.

I actually prefer to use it in cooler weather because it throws so much heat out the door it's like a blast furnace!

The oven heats up well. I've had it over 1000 degrees. I'd have to say it makes a better pizza, to my taste, at around 700 - 800. It's a flame-throwing beast when it gets going! It doesn't hold its heat as efficiently as I expected, but, again, I have nothing to compare it to.

I have made as many as 15 pizzas in a row for a party. It takes a few minutes for the floor to recover its heat between pizzas.

If I had it to do over again, I probably would NOT build it below grade. I'll attach some photos that will demonstrate why. Instead, I would give the placement of the oven more thought so it would fit in with the landscape.

I'd also work more closely with the builder so I was certain that the plans were followed or that we at least were in agreement on alterations.

I'm going to make a door for it so I can make bread in it, too.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Peasant

Pizza oven AND Hot tub!
Attached Thumbnails
Dominick's Pizza Oven-_igp3551.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-_igp3562.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Peasant

Just waitin...
Attached Thumbnails
Dominick's Pizza Oven-snowpizza.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Peasant

The BEAST shall roar again...soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_1109.jpg  
Old 01-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Laborer

What a beautiful photo Dominick. I will never have the pleasure of looking out into such wonderful sight in my backyard. Wow.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Peasant

Thank you, Bruno.

I have to say, though, that after shoveling through two feet of it yesterday, I'm just about ready to trade it all for place where they don't know what a snow shovel is!

Dominick
Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Apprentice

One of the best looking finished ovens I have seen. Also one of the most creative. I'm looking forward to your solution for the flooding.

My slow journey to pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Peasant

Thank you, WCD!

The flooding... funny you should mention that.

I just received delivery of a gasoline-powered water pump yesterday, a small one. I actually did NOT buy it specifically for the pizza oven. I got it because I am anticipating a super-flooded basement this year. Did I mention that when the oven flooded last year, the basement had already flooded? It did. Not bad, but bad enough to overpower the heavy duty electric sump pump AND the gravity drain. Let's just say it got a little hectic for a few days down there, with the regular sump pump and a the OLD electric sump pump brought in for auxiliary duty.

So I have the gas pump JUST IN CASE it gets that bad again. I can also use it to pump out the oven if it floods again.

BTW, I live on a HILL, at around 100 feet above sea level. Actually, I'm on the SIDE of a hill, south-facing, 30 feet below the maximum elevation and about 40 feet above minimum. But it's a ledge,with solid granite under the house. That's why water loves to detour into my pizza oven and basement on its way to Long Island Sound!

All of which is a much-to-long introduction to saying that I am planning to fire up the oven on Tuesday (sunny, high 30s). Will post photos!

Nick