Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Dominick's Pizza Oven

Question - Are the oven floor brick mortared?

I ask because this would be contrary to the directions from James in the Forno-Bravo Plans.

If they are mortared please give some comment on the descision to do so.

Thanks, Bob
Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Peasant

So sorry I've been out of the loop for SOOOO long! Your question brings me right back. I collected some photos from 2 computers and took some new ones and I will try to post them. Wish me luck!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Peasant

The floor now has bricks as per the FB plans. Photos to follow...I hope!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Peasant

Here are more photos of the oven-building process.
Attached Thumbnails
Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0068.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0074.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0080.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0077.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0088.jpg  

Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Peasant

Some of those were duplicates, I guess. The question about the mortared floor threw me off.

Okay, here are five more that take off from there....

More will follow in a few minutes....
Attached Thumbnails
Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0108.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0110.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0124.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0182.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0187.jpg  

Old 06-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Peasant

I should note that the dome of the oven was stuccoed with insulating cement and then an insulation blanket purchased from FB was placed over that.

Then the wall was raised around it and filled with vermiculite.

Then, as you'll see here, that was covered with mortarboard and painted with some special purple paint. Then the slate roof was installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0188.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0189.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0190.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_1142.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_1143.jpg  

Old 06-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Peasant

The insulation works REAL well! In one photo here, I am making pizza in January 09. It's snowing. The thin layer of snow on the roof of the oven did NOT melt. When this photo was taken, the oven had been hot for at least 90 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_0723.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Interesting approach to get the floor to a comfortable cooking height. How do you keep the water out of your storage area?

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Peasant

Here are a couple of recent photos.

My daughter and her BFF pressing the pizza oven into service toasting marshmallows. What else?

And a roaring fire.

The oven makes a nice fire. I usually get flames licking out the front and up the chimney.

There's definitely a learning curve, and I'm still near the bottom.

I use untreated charcoal and an electric starter to get the fire started now. I was a boy scout for only 3 weeks and never learned how to get a good fire going, so I cheat.

I usually get a huge fire going at first, but I've recently learned that a smaller fire might work better because the oven doesn't get filled up with embers.

I've measured temperatures over 1000 degrees and cooked pizzas in 20 seconds. But that's really too fast. Now I usually don't start cooking when the oven is that hot.

My first load of wood was not ideal. Pieces too big. Next time I'll be more careful about where I get the wood.

The "pit" design: I sank the oven because I didn't want it to dominate the landscape. It can be a pain cleaning out the "pit," but I would do it that way again.

I'll try to answer any questions....
Attached Thumbnails
Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_1109.jpg   Dominick's Pizza Oven-img_1133.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Peasant

To answer Les's question:

There are several holes drilled in the concrete floor. The concrete is about 10 inches thick. Below that is crushed stone.

Water drains well. The original plan was to put a brick floor over the concrete. I haven't done that, mainly because I ran out of steam and wanted to see how the floor drained first. I have a few blocks there now and I've grown accustomed to it. As you can see, there is much finish landscaping to be done.

When I do store wood in those compartments, I raise them up off the floor because it does still get wet. If I covered the openings it would stay dry, although the pitch of the concrete floor is not perfect.

I hope that answers your question.