Old 05-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Dolf's Bushveld Oven

Hi Dave
Sorry for the slow reply - did not notice your response...
Your Lion plan may well work as I guess would Leopard, but I do not feel like regular poo-run s to keep it all fresh :-)
Lets see how it goes.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Apprentice

Hi All
After the Easter weekend I can again show some progress!!
The oven is now completely covered and only the front top and chimney cladding needs to be completed along with final cleaning & finishing of the brick work. Not mentioning the rest of the lapa wall & pole work, the end is thus very near.
I have made the first kindling curing fire and it draws most lovely
Time will tell when the fires start heating up. but I am getting very confident.
Work schedule hints that the next work will only be in mid-June, but I am getting very excited !
Attached Thumbnails
Dolf's Bushveld Oven-oonda.jpg   Dolf's Bushveld Oven-oondb.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011, 05:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey boet - hope I'm getting an invite for pizza and a good dop when you get this baby firing on all cylinders. A fine piece of building for sure - well done.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Apprentice

You are most welcome - bring your best receipe!!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Apprentice

The weekend saw me working through my last set of curing fires with the last fires reaching a final roof high of about 400c. Next time I will try my first pizzas!
The building progress to the chimney cladding did not progress as I did not want to work around the active chimney around my curing fire, but I did take pics of the counterweight (old hammer head) which I built into the chimney to to regulate my built in draft door. It works fine! I need to exert some 1kg worth of push or pull to shift it (counter friction) but it stays where I leave it and works great! I now only need to add some sort of handlle, but this is one plan I think which worked very well

Cant wait to make the first pizza but will have to make tools first as I do not have peels yet!

Patience Lord - Please??

Attached Thumbnails
Dolf's Bushveld Oven-draft-dr.jpg   Dolf's Bushveld Oven-counterw.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dolf,
your draft door is a clever set up. Maybe you could also adapt it to trap a baboon or two.

Last edited by david s; 06-05-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Apprentice

Thanks David. Thinking what the B will do once trapped... I prefer a different pizza topping!

My only concern is that while I painted it with fireplace high heat black, I guess it will burn off in the chimney and may very well rust & become ugly. Time will tell. Would engine paint be more temp tollerant? Guess I should have gone stainless, but that is out of budget :-/
Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It looks like a decent lump of steel, so what if it rusts a little.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Apprentice

Share the joy! Other than final stone cleaning and finishing the rest of the wall & wood enclosure, I am done. She fires up nicely till my thermo clocks out at 520deg C after 2 and a half hours of firing!
She also holds her heat well as I suspected when the outer wall was still cold to the touch during max heat inside. The pizza making now needs lots of work and learning as the one in the pic is my first ever, but I look forward to lots of experimentation :-)
If you look at my tools and think you recognise the round peel with the hole in, you will be right - its one of the diamond wheels used during construction

Thanks a lot to all of you without whom I would not ever have been able to do this. Especially to James FB who's plans lead the way. I will think of you fondly while we enjoy our very own wfo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Dolf's Bushveld Oven-oond.jpg   Dolf's Bushveld Oven-deurbuite.jpg   Dolf's Bushveld Oven-deur.jpg   Dolf's Bushveld Oven-tools.jpg   Dolf's Bushveld Oven-p1.jpg  

Old 07-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Journeyman

Congratulations Dolf! Happy cooking

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.