Old 01-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dolf's Bushveld Oven

Unless you have Gorillas nesting on it I don't think you need to worry (and probably not then).
Old 03-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Apprentice

Guess i'm setting some sort of slow progress record, but at last got some work done again. Pic 1 shows the insulation build up and the other two shows progress after closing the dome and adding one quarter of the final rock stack

Now I need to cure the baby! We had some rain while in the state of pic one, so all that rain that went into the vermiculite will have made for lots of water trapped. Guess I will have to take it very slow…

Cheers
Dolf
Attached Thumbnails
Dolf's Bushveld Oven-oven0311a.jpg   Dolf's Bushveld Oven-oven0311b.jpg   Dolf's Bushveld Oven-oven0311.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Journeyman

Hello Dolf,

That looks like a very nice start for a baboon monument. As long as you've made peace with the concept of visiting baboons why don't you go all the way with the idea and develop a theme park just for their entertainment, then charge an admission fee. Joking aside. I am happy that you are ma

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Journeyman

Part 2............

ooops !! How'd that happen?

I am happy you are making progress again. You have a unique panorama of the horizon and a great oven build going on. Best of luck with the curing/drying ptocess.

Cheers,

Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Master Builder

Looks great Dolf. How about a picture with the baboon.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Apprentice

Problem with baboons gathering hands full of thatch or at tile roofs, collecting barge boards etc, is that they are not likely to stay around when they see people, so the pic is unlikely to happen. Unless you want a pic of baboon-poo :-)

Thanks for the encouragement. I attach a pic with a wider view. The pic is taken from the back, so the solar pannels you see on the right will be shielded when the lapa poles are up. I only plan 180 degrees of lapa so as not to close the view. That shouild take care of 80%+ of the winds :-)

Cheers
Dolf
Attached Thumbnails
Dolf's Bushveld Oven-oven-plus.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice.
I think the tree near the oven needs a drink.... but dont worry, if our weather pattern is anything to go by you will need to buy a boat after the drought.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Apprentice

You touch a sore point!
As you can see I built a table around the tree. In fact the position was partially chosen because of the lovely tree. Now it has decided that it had had enough and is dying!!! :-(
Clever people tell me it has come to the end of its life. Reason I'm told being that we are on the mountain with a fairly shallow rock bed. Now the trees outgrow their space and die. Why they wont go side-ways I cant tell, but the end result either way is very sad news :-(
Old 03-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It looks like an Acacia, live fast and free, die young.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

dear Rolf
Why don't you fight fire with fire or in this case Poo with Poo... can't you get some lion poo and leave it around for your baboon friends...I bet you there not going to like it....
Love the build by the way

Regards Dave