Old 07-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dolf's Bushveld Oven

That is a nice chunk of stone.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Apprentice

I had some time to play with my oven again this weekend.
Row 8 is almost done. The weekends layes also now took me past the final mouth/dome transition which I think came quite well :-)
I stacked bricks inside the oven and placed a piece of wood on top. On this I put other bricks. wedges, stones etc to do the supporting while the H40 sets. With the slide down of the angle progress is slow. The plan works, but calls for a lot of waiting.
In the down times I proceed with the Portland cement stone work around the mouth.
I am happy with the progress. Not as neat as some of the other folks' work on the list, but with rocks from the area it is shaping with a character of its own fitting into the environment I think
Attached Thumbnails
Dolf's Bushveld Oven-oven0808.jpg   Dolf's Bushveld Oven-oven30808.jpg   Dolf's Bushveld Oven-oven20808.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Apprentice

Hi
Another layer down. I am losing the circle somewhat, but am still optimistic
Attached Thumbnails
Dolf's Bushveld Oven-22082010.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Apprentice

Eventually had a chance to get back to the farm again!
With the very hard bricks, cutting is hardly possible and chisel breaks somewhat unpredictable, so I use all offcuts as well. I know it is not first prize, but at only a few cuts per diamond blade, I can not afford differently, so I have to live with the odd shapes.
As you can see in the pic, I still have to clean properly and lost the circle, but I am 200mm from closed.

Still having fun :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Dolf's Bushveld Oven-16oond.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Journeyman

Hello Dolf,

WOW !! I see possibilities here......What a great opportunity to make an artistic construction feature of the "face" shape of the opening. Trim the final bricks in the shape of facial features such as, eyes, nose, mouth, chin and incorporate them into the final dome closure. Maybe only you will know they are they are there. Your tribute to the hard work of making the dome. An "oven saint" to look over your cooking efforts and an inspiration to your continuing efforts to perfect pizza and delicious local foods.

Cheers,
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Apprentice

You mean like this?
:-) Never saw the "mouth" before you mentioned it!

Groetnis (Afrikaans for "cheers")
Attached Thumbnails
Dolf's Bushveld Oven-oven-god.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 04:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey boet - that oven is really starting to take shape now. When do you expect to crank it up for the first time? Better have plenty of Klippies handy - that's going to be one serious bash....
Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Apprentice

Because the oven is on the farm, I can only work when when family and work responsibilities allow me to go. These 2 are unfortunately not so predictable, so the true answer which may sound flippant, is "As soon as I can". Realistic guess would be that I should have the dome done I insulated end November, but the finishing with the rock may even take me to end January as stone selection/searching tends to be unpredictable. Gathering Klippies you may say :-) .
I do not want to try her before I have done the final covering as the next few months is our rainy season and I want to have her sealed before I start curing.

Grant me patience Lord...but HURRY!! :-)
Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Apprentice

Hi All
As you can see a lot of time passed since my last posting. Changed jobs; so life work-wise has been hectic & no time to get to the farm. So then when I got there I found that bees have inhabited the woodstore part of my oven !!
Normally not a big deal, but since I am very allergic to them, it was a bit of an issue to get them out.

Anyway, that done, I have now inserted the last brick , layed the ceramic blanket and is busy doing the vermiculite & cement outer. Again because of my friends the baboons who will surely use the nice vantage point to sit (& sh#t ) on, I am using some reinforcement in the outer cemement before I do the final stone layer.
Pics below shows the progress. (The tin sheeting is just to hold the gap together with the bricks just as placeholders for the vermiculite)
Attached Thumbnails
Dolf's Bushveld Oven-p1170852.jpg   Dolf's Bushveld Oven-p1170872.jpg  
Old 01-06-2011, 05:25 AM
Journeyman

Hang in there Dolf - your in the home stretch and things are looking good

As for the baboons, maybe a spiked roof would encourage them to stay off!

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.