Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Corner Casa 110 installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoman View Post
I was a bit concerned about how it would draw with the cap enclosed like that. But the initial curing fires showed absolutely no issues -- draws amazingly well.
My Artigiano chimney angles back and then up, and it is also fully enclosed, and it still draws perfectly. The fundamental design of the oven is so nice.

Keep up the good work.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Apprentice

A design with a lot of angles indeed! But the work your doing looks just great.

Got me thinking ahead about what I am going to do with the top of my octagonal oven when the time comes I have no experience with metal framing materials, but every time I see pictues of folks using them they look really cool and maybe not too difficult to work with!

Travis
Old 11-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Peasant

Getting to the home stretch -- concrete board and a first coat of stucco.

I'll be painting the stucco with elastomeric paint to match the wall, but since it needs to cure for a month before painting, I added some color to the stucco so I don't have to look at a big grey blob for the next 4 weeks.

Close observers will notice that I ran out of stucco with about one square foot to go. I wasn't aiming for that faux aged look I'll clean that up on the next coat.

I'm looking around now for an interesting medallion to mount on the front of the chimney. Lots of choices in cast "stone" and metal, but none seem quite right. Also plan a plank door for the wood storage area (sort of a miniture version of the plank garden gates in the stucco wall).
Attached Thumbnails
Corner Casa 110 installation-img_1274.jpg   Corner Casa 110 installation-img_1280.jpg  
Old 11-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by staestc View Post
I have no experience with metal framing materials, but every time I see pictures of folks using them they look really cool and maybe not too difficult to work with!
This was my first time using metal studs and they are cool and not too difficult to work with!

Don't be afraid, just dive in and do it.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I hate it when you run out with so little to go! I did that over and over when building my oven with the mortar. I don't think I ever got it to work out evenly!

Your work looks great. You've done an outstanding job framing it in and finishing it. Just take your time finding what you want for the front- it will come to you eventually.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
I hate it when you run out with so little to go! I did that over and over when building my oven with the mortar. I don't think I ever got it to work out evenly!
So true! On the second coat of stucco I thought it was going to happen again. But by carefully scraping out every last bit from the mixer and wheel barrow I had just enough.

Quote:
Just take your time finding what you want for the front- it will come to you eventually.
Lot of choices out there, something always seems not quite right -- size, color, etc. We thought the one below might work but it's a bit too small.
Attached Thumbnails
Corner Casa 110 installation-img_1294.jpg  
Old 11-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Peasant

Second coat of stucco is now on and the paving stones replaced.

Misting the stucco every few hours to help it cure, hence the mottled color on the stucco.

Next step is to construct the plank door for the wood storage area and figure out where to store the tools. Perhaps a metal tool hanging system on the wall or oven side?? Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Corner Casa 110 installation-img_1293.jpg  
Old 11-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Journeyman

I think it was Les who brilliantly used something originally designed to hang garden tools on a garage wall. Something like that would work really well on the garden wall.

Beautiful installation! Do you have any tips for working with the metal studs? I'm toying around with a design idea that would necessitate using metal studs, but I've never used the product or even seen it used in person.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modthyrth View Post
Do you have any tips for working with the metal studs? I'm toying around with a design idea that would necessitate using metal studs, but I've never used the product or even seen it used in person.
I read some brief instructions online (Using Steel Studs: About Steel Studs), paid a visit to Lowes to pick up the aviation snips, sheet metal (duckbill) pliers, and studs, and then just got to work.

They are really quite easy to work with. Two tips: wear gloves and get a metal cutting blade for your circular saw -- it is *much* easier than cutting every stud with the snips!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Apprentice

It really is looking Great! It looks like you have room you could hang tools on the front on either side of the door, but the garden wall or even the side walls of the oven are other possible options. Very nice work!

Travis