Old 07-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Claire's 31" oven/ 42" Rumford fireplace build

After laying the split firebricks and adding a little refractory mortar on top, I laid a grid of rebar and added cement with fireclay on top. To hopefully add a little strength, I drilled holes in the side cement blocks to put an extra rebar into before adding the cement.

Now, on to the decorative arch for the dome. I wanted to match the mortar color that was used underneath, so I just used regular mortar (not high-heat), hoping that it wouldn't get too hot there. This is not recommend because I do think that it will likely have to be replaced it as it is already cracking.
Attached Thumbnails
Claire's 31" oven/ 42" Rumford fireplace build-img_5094.jpg  
Old 07-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Laborer

Next, was time for the smoke chamber. I bought a couple of 13"x18" flue liners that I intended on cutting similar to Dmun's to make it; but, I quickly realized that this was not going to work for mine as I needed a much larger base than that would allow. After brainstorming with my hubby for a while, we thought that it might work if we made 3 cuts--it would give us the width we needed on the bottom and still allow the height that we needed. It worked like a charm. I used a circular saw with a diamond blade to cut the first side, then took a newspaper and traced the cut to repeat on the opposite side. It actually looks very similar to the one that Superior Clay sells for $300-400ish and I made it for $60--yay!

After setting the smoke chamber, I needed to set the anchor of the rotisserie that I had my brother weld for me. *Remember, when I started the project, it was supposed to be a fireplace only and I knew that I wanted to use it for cooking as well. Even after I decided to add the oven, the rotisserie still seemed like a good idea as my oven is on the small side. This way I will still be able to cook whole hogs, etc for larger groups.

We leveled it off and added a mixture of cement and extra stone pieces to make sure that it would be able to take the weight of a pretty heavy piece of meat.

I cut the bricks with the wet saw 2 times, then just chipped out the middle to set the rack. We left plenty of room for extra mortar just to add strength.
Attached Thumbnails
Claire's 31" oven/ 42" Rumford fireplace build-img_5109.jpg   Claire's 31" oven/ 42" Rumford fireplace build-img_5106.jpg   Claire's 31" oven/ 42" Rumford fireplace build-img_5110.jpg   Claire's 31" oven/ 42" Rumford fireplace build-img_5029.jpg  

Last edited by czaunb2; 07-09-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Laborer

After setting the rotisserie anchor, we built up the bricks a bit at an angle. We tied string to help us stay uniform.
Attached Thumbnails
Claire's 31" oven/ 42" Rumford fireplace build-img_5115.jpg  
Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Laborer

The hearth for the oven was hanging over quite a bit b/c I needed the extra space for the oven. After laying the block it seemed to be nearly flush with the block, but I didn't really want to cover it with stucco. My helper, Mario, had a WONDERFUL idea, and added a flat stone that would provide a place for a row of bricks to rest. Since the insulation went beyond the hearth, the stucco created a huge ugly bulge. He covered this by chipping off the tops of the bricks--fit like a glove. I think that he did a beautiful job!
Attached Thumbnails
Claire's 31" oven/ 42" Rumford fireplace build-img_5036.jpg   Claire's 31" oven/ 42" Rumford fireplace build-img_5100.jpg   Claire's 31" oven/ 42" Rumford fireplace build-img_5103.jpg  
Old 07-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Apprentice

Thank you so much for posting these pictures. My fireplace build is far off but I need to have some of these things in mind when I start the process.

My slow journey to pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:52 AM
Serf

Hi from aus.great fireplace been looking at the rumford does it work well outdoors? im in the early stages of my wood oven. tell me is there a formula you used for you rumford been on my mind the curve of the throat would appreciate the help.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Laborer

Hi from the US. I was worried about the wind outside diminishing the fire, but it hasn't been a problem and the fireplace works wonderfully. I use it frequently and have cooked several pigs on the rotisserie above it which has been really a lot of fun.

The throat was also my most worrisome part of the fireplace. There was no real formula that I used, but I knew that for my 42" fireplace it would need a 4" deep throat at the top. I bent the metal lath to match that and traced around it with a template that I transferred to plywood and cut it to fit. Here is a pic: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...irebricks.html
The form gave something for the lath to sit on when weight was added. I put refractory mortar on top of the lath, then added split firebricks and more mortar for good measure. Rebar was added across the width of the fireplace and extended farther with one of them. I added regular cement, that had rocks, broken bricks and stone, etc. to help to set the rotisserie base in place and help to keep it sturdy--the rotisserie base was placed just in front of the throat.

Also, for the bricks along the sides of the throat, I initally cut them at an angle, but that wasn't giving me the curve that I wanted. So, to give the lath (and my throat) something to sit on top of, I basically sanded down the bricks as best as I could with my circular saw to create a curve (since they were already in place.) It turned out looking really hacked on and crappy, so to smooth the bricks out to what I wanted it to look like, I used refractory mortar applying it with my gloved hand.

Here is another idea: Casting Rumford Throat - Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Also, I did get a ton of help/ideas from the Buckley Rumford website and from a book called The Forgotten Art of Building a Fireplace by Vrest Orton that I borrowed from the library.

I do still have the form here if you happen to be building a 42" fireplace. I would be happy to send it to you, but shipping might be too expensive. Maybe I could draw a template from it on newspaper or whatever and send it to you. Let me know.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Laborer

Claire, I have the opportunity to get a couple bags of free FireRock mortar because my neighbor across the street is having a FireRock fireplace installed in his backyard. How did it work out for you? I should be starting my dome in the next couple of weeks hopefully.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Laborer

The FireRock mortar worked out really well. I would definately use it again--and given that it is free, heck yes! The bags are really small and depending on how big your oven is, you will likely need more. But two bags will keep you busy for a while.

Good luck on the build! Take lots of pics.