Old 09-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Castana Iowa Ridge Oven

Great Keystone! I love the interlocking around the square. Congratulations on closing it up. Nice oven, I guess it's time to let it rest a few days then start the curing fires. Have fun, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Master Builder

Congrats! Nice work on the dome.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Serf

Got a lot done over the long weekend. We were able to get 6 curing fires done over 4 days. Did one first thing in the morning and one before going to bed. Got the first fire to 130 degrees and the 2nd to 240. Otherwise we worked on the framing, concrete pad underneath for storing wood, and poured a slab to bring the landing to level for marble. Probably didn't have to reinforce the pad but couldn''t hurt.
Attached Thumbnails
Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-first_fire.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-landing_reinforcement.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-landing_pour.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-start_of_frame.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-second_fire.jpg  

Build Thread

Photos

Last edited by madmax224; 09-09-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Serf

By the fourth fire got up to 530 degrees. Sunday got the wood pad done and the roof framed. Ran out of tar paper so couldn't finish it. Used cement board to house the vermiculite we will put in with a couple fire blankets once it's cured.
Attached Thumbnails
Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-third_fire.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-wood_pad.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-roof_build1.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-fourth_fire.jpg  

Build Thread

Photos

Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Serf

Monday finished the last fire reaching about 640. Couldn't resist trying a piece of bacon and an egg. Didn't turn out to bad but wasn't hot enough. Also laid out the marble to get an idea of the best way to arrange it.
Attached Thumbnails
Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-bacon.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-egg.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-marble.jpg  

Build Thread

Photos

Old 09-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Serf

hi madmax224

your oven is awesome. so many details, which are executed perfectly!!!

I have not much experience with the spherical shape ovens you guys build.
just one thing: over here (Germany) sometimes the ovens do not burn the wood properly because of lack of air (in the back-area)

that´s why we PLACE A HOLE in the backarea to control airflow. (size of a brick)
it turned out to be necessary for every oven.
no more problems with "poorly burning wood"

I just thought I tell you before you insulate the oven...
if you dare to make this revision you will not regret it

good luck with your oven madmax

bbq870
Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Serf

It's been a long time but I finally got around to getting these finished pics posted. Even though it's been a long time I really wanted to make sure that I eventually did. We have been using the oven and learning over the past 3 years and have gotten pretty good at it. We started using rice flour and that made a huge difference. Since then we haven't had any problems and the pizzas have been amazing. The information and expertise that I found in this forum made this project go better than I ever expected. I had more fun building this oven than I've ever had doing any project. The oven looks just like it did the day it was built, no problems at all and it was all thanks to all the suggestions and ingenuity found here. Thank you! I can't wait for an excuse (and time) to build another!
Attached Thumbnails
Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-dscf3038.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-dscf3039.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-dscf3042.jpg   Castana Iowa Ridge Oven-dscf3043.jpg  

Build Thread

Photos

Old 07-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Master Builder

Madmax, you are truly a man of faith. I love the simplicity of your stand, but with the earth-shakes we get here, it would be down in a New York minute.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Serf

Yea we did that on purpose. We built this in a place that we may not stay as long as this oven will last so we designed it to be semi portable. It ended up being more stable than we planned for though. Eventually we will be cutting the legs and loading it onto a trailer to take to a more permanent location if need be.

Build Thread

Photos

Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congradulations Dave! Yes, it can take a long time to get completely finished and we appreciate the pictures of the finished oven.

Since you waited so long, I see by a few posts earlier that your oven had a "box" built around it without inulation yet while you were curing it. What did you end up doing? Vermiculite? Did you pull insulation around it somehow? just curious.

Also, I'm a big fan of rice flour too. It's frankly a godsend not to have to ever worry about how the pizza slides off something when there are so many other factors to keep to keep tabs on while making pizza. I just found out one of my favorite bread bloggers using rice flour in his brotforms and other baskets for rising breads before he bakes in his kitchen oven and I've started using it there too.

Nice looking oven, glad you're enjoying it.

-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread