Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Building Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Is that your first pizza? Congratulations!

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 04-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Apprentice

That weekend it was wet on Saturday. I had planned to wrap the insulation that day but didn’t want to get it wet. So it was at that point that I decided I should put a coat of render over the oven. I wasn’t going to as I am going to enclose it, but in the meantime the blanket would get wet when it rained and those nasty fibres from the blanket would be floating around.

Thankfully it was fine on Sunday and I made an early start, wrapped the blanket and applied 2 coats of render. This needed to be done in a day because we had friends and family coming from near and far all over the following Easter weekend, and I wouldn’t get a chance to do anything during the week.

With the blanket and render on the oven looks huge. There really is not a lot of room to work around most of the oven which made applying 2 coats in a day a physically demanding job. It would have helped if I was a left-handed contortionist. Below is the first coat finished.

And here it is completed. It came out looking ok considering I was not that worried about the finish as it will be enclosed. While I was applying the render my wife was mixing it. She was also cleaning up all the tools and brick off cuts and dust. We also put a temporary bench beside the oven.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:32 AM
Apprentice

I was working from home on Thursday so I got a low fire going in the morning and gradually built it up ready to cook that evening. I only got a small hair line crack in the render which I thought was pretty good considering the whole lot was applied in a day and it had only had 4 days to dry. We also put some wood chip over the ground as a temporary base until we can pave it. I keep the area in front of the oven damp and also keep a bucket of water on hand. I have actually found it good to keep the wooden handled tools I use in the oven soaking in the bucket.

Considering it is still a construction zone it tidied up ok.

As I said earlier, we had friends and family come from near and far (as far as Tasmania) for pizza over the Easter weekend. When the oven is warm from the previous day it takes under an hour to get back to cooking temps. We must have cooked a few dozen pizzas and only had a few duds. And things should get better with practice.

Everybody loved the pizza and really enjoyed sitting around the oven, eating, drinking and soaking up the ambience. The wine cellar took a bit of a hit but you can’t beat good wine with home wood fired pizza.

Last edited by Sharkey; 04-27-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking at your last pic.
Where is the under hearth insulation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter ego View Post
Is that your first pizza? Congratulations!
Thanks. After 19 months of work it was a momentous occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Looking at your last pic.
Where is the under hearth insulation?
The white layer of bricks are insulation bricks.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Laborer

Sharky, Your pizzas look awesome and have have made me extremely hungry at 8 am. Good job on not burning the pizza on your first attempt.

Bert
Old 04-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Journeyman

Hello All,

I suspect Sharkey has been holding out on us and is actually an epicure with background in pizzaoligy. Look at the genius in his build, the composition of his photos, the downright elegant composition of his pizzas. Sharkey adds worth to our forum for those who would recognize it.

Cheers,

Old 04-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
So we came up with this. I had bought extra long, tapered bricks for the outer arch. We laid the fist 6 on each side as normal.
Hi Sharkey,

Were these extra long bricks part of the kit from Field Furnace, or bought seperatley to the kit from them ?

Regards,
Bruno.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Between the drama of his oven location and the light in his photographic captures, it's apparent Sharkey is one dramatic guy.

If there's one word to describe your outdoor kitchen, it's inviting. Maybe that's why I keep going back to look at your pictures. Nicely done all around, Sharkey!
John
Old 04-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the wonderful feedback guys. Without the wealth of knowledge on this forum I would not have attempted this build. I am just pleased I can give something back.

I still have a long way to go before it is finished so there is plenty more to come.

Sharkey