Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 02:29 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Building Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Itís been a while since I last posted on my progress. I had a forced break from construction for a few months so obviously no pizza by Christmas. I finally organised all the materials from Field Furnace early in the new year and started on construction of the oven. I laid the first chain (no soldier course) and cut the floor bricks to fit.

The way the Field Furnace guys build the inner arch is to cut each arch brick so that the inside is part of the dome and the top edge is the right slope for a dome brick to sit on. This makes cutting the arch bricks quite tricky, but there are a lot less issues with the dome / arch interface. Here you can see the arch bricks have been cut and are ready to go in. The second chain is underway.

Here is the completed arch and the third chain underway.

The next day I removed the arch form and was very pleased the arch didnít collapse. We also completed up to the sixth chain.

You can also see I have started my rock enclosure. The rock wall to the back left would have been too awkward to build after the oven was in place, so it was done first.

And here is a closer shot during the sixth chain being laid. You can see the arch bricks get deeper to be part of the dome structure as you climb up the arch.

I am hoping to get the time to complete the oven over the next month or so.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Laborer

First your build looks great! What a location.

I don't know how dry your area is, but do you have a plan to keep rain water from running down and soaking into your insulation under the oven?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow. Nice progress on your oven and I love your inner arch geometry. It won't be long now. Such a dramatic setting for an oven!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklingles View Post
First your build looks great! What a location.

I don't know how dry your area is, but do you have a plan to keep rain water from running down and soaking into your insulation under the oven?
Thanks.

I plan to enclose the oven within rock walls. I will mount a gutter to the back wall to catch any water that runs down the rock face and also slope the roof to the gutter.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Wow. Nice progress on your oven and I love your inner arch geometry. It won't be long now. Such a dramatic setting for an oven!
It takes a bit of work to shape the arch this way. I sat the arch bricks in place and marked them with my dome tool. Basically the inner edge of each arch brick is part of the dome and the angle on top of the brick is the angle of the dome bricks at that height. Below you can see the dome is nearly to the top of the arch and it is a simple cut to shape the dome bricks to span the arch.

It was more work up-front but I didnít have any of the issues that many builders seem to have with the transition from dome to arch. I certainly didnít have any of the complicated cutting that seems to be the norm and it is also easier to maintain the round shape. The transition is also relatively smooth. Well, it would be except for the fact I am cutting all my bricks with a handsaw and angle grinder.

This weekend I managed to finish the dome . I will put some pics up in the next couple of days.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Apprentice

INcredible!....something to be really proud of!...can't wait to see the continuing progress.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Apprentice

Default The dome is finished

I went to 1/3 bricks on the 9th chain and persisted with using the dome tool to hold the bricks while they set. I also made a couple of hooks that would help hold them in place. Basically just 2 pieces of ply wood screwed together to form an L shape which could sit upside down with the short side of the L on the top of the brick. The long side sat down the outside of the oven and had some weights hanging from it. They took 5 minutes to make and worked pretty well.

I then used a sand form to finish the dome. The bricks were cut and sat in place. For the final brick of each chain I cut a template of the shape out of cardboard and transferred that onto a brick.

The outer row was mortared on the outside edge. The rest of the bricks were just resting in place. The final 2 pieces wanted to sit together so I held them apart with my pencil until I could get some mud in there.

I then mixed up a very wet mix and just poured it over everything and worked it in with my hands. I think doing it this way was much easier than using the dome tool.

As you can see from the photo below there was not a lot of room to work around most of the oven.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Apprentice

Default The dome is finished

The next morning I was up early to remove the sand form and see what it looked like inside. I think it turned out OK. Just a couple of gaps to be filled and a bit of cleaning needed. The final plug was roundish, so that's a good sign.

Itís hard to believe you can make something so round out of square bricks.

I have to have a couple of weeks off from building but my head will still be busily thinking about the outer arch, vent, chimney, insulation, curing fires ÖÖ.
and pizza!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me get this far.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Apprentice

Finally I have had a chance to get back to the build. During the last few weeks I put a lot of thought into the vent design. I wanted something that was a smooth transition but as I donít have a proper brick saw I wanted to do as few complicated cuts as possible.

So we came up with this. I had bought extra long, tapered bricks for the outer arch. We laid the fist 6 on each side as normal.

Then for the next 2 bricks on each side I cut about a third of each brick off. This was used in the outer arch as normal and the other part (the two thirds bit) was laid with the taper reversed to create the vent. This created a smooth transition on both the inside and outside. In the photo below, the 2 pieces above the last full brick actually come from the same brick. I then only had to cut a tapered bit to finish the vent off flat on the top and 200mm (8Ē) wide.

I pulled the form out the next evening when I got home from work and cleaned up the excess mortar. A couple of joints need a bit of patching but I am pleased with the way the vent looks from the inside.

Now I have to cut the bricks to sit on the inner and outer arches for the front and back of the vent to square everything off and tie it all together. These will be the only compound cuts I have had to make.

I feel I am finally getting close to cooking now.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Apprentice

Another weekend and Iím working on The Oven again. This is the first time I have had two weekends in a row for a long time but I am so close to cooking I can almost taste it.

I managed to cut and grind the four bricks to level the top of my arch / vent. These were the most difficult bricks to shape in my entire oven but I wanted them to interlock with the rest of the vent and finish with a nice 200mm (8 inch) hole.

I then cut 12 bricks and laid them to add a bit of height to the vent.

Next day I lit a small fire to see how it worked. I had finished the dome a month or so ago and had been heating it with halogen lights and heat beads in the meantime. I was very pleased to see the smoke come out under the inner arch and go straight up the vent. I took a longish exposure photo to try to show this so please excuse the slight blur of the photo below.

And here you can see the smoke all going where it should. I am still going to add a double skinned stainless steel flue. I need 3.6 metres (12 feet) to get the smoke above the rock.

yorkshireknight likes this.