Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: The build has begun!

The pour went very well. I had some help today from my brother in-law and a good friend of mine. The work went fast with their assistance. Now I will let it sit for a few days then start removing the forms.
Attached Thumbnails
The build has begun!-hearth-front.jpg   The build has begun!-hearth-rear.jpg   The build has begun!-hearth-finish.jpg   The build has begun!-angle-iron.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Apprentice

I bought some foam board and drew the outside diameter of the oven and cut it out. I got the idea from "Ken's Old Kentucky Dome" build. Now I will use it to see where I want to place the oven. Right now I'm trying to figure out how big I need to have the hole for the vent so the chimney draws correctly before I start cutting the bricks. There are so many questions that I have. Fortunately so far I get my answers from reading previous threads and looking at the photos that everyone has put in.
Attached Thumbnails
The build has begun!-foam-board-design.jpg  

Last edited by brianventura; 03-07-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Serf

Very nice brian. its coming along great.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: The build has begun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianventura View Post
I bought some foam board and drew the outside diameter of the oven and cut it out. I got the idea from "Ken's Old Kentucky Dome" build. Now I will use it to see where I want to place the oven. Right now I'm trying to figure out how big I need to have the hole for the vent so the chimney draws correctly before I start cutting the bricks. There are so many questions that I have. Fortunately so far I get my answers from reading previous threads and looking at the photos that everyone has put in.
Looking great! You can go to the photo gallery for ideas. How are you planning to insulate the oven floor from the hearth? I used some insulation....If I had it to do over, I might use vermicrete -the insulation I used compressed a bit (one eigth of an inch).

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
Looking great! You can go to the photo gallery for ideas. How are you planning to insulate the oven floor from the hearth? I used some insulation....If I had it to do over, I might use vermicrete -the insulation I used compressed a bit (one eigth of an inch).
Hi Lburou, What did you use for insulation, may I ask? I am planning on using 4" foamglas hoping it won't compress that much!
Thanks
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Journeyman

Hi Brian,
Nice work! I Am super jealous of your warmer weather and ability to work on your oven in Feb.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Again, great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 03-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Apprentice

Dustin, Thanks. Hopefully you will be at this stage soon.

LeeB, I have looked at the gallery a couple of times and have found some great ideas.
I am going to use FB insulation board for under the floor. I have not seen any problems with the floor compressing with this product. My floor will be 2.5" thick.
What was the time frame that you noticed the drop?

John, Thanks. I am fortunate that I can work on the oven during the winter and get ready for the summer.

Brian
Old 03-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: The build has begun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianventura View Post
Dustin, Thanks. Hopefully you will be at this stage soon.

LeeB, I have looked at the gallery a couple of times and have found some great ideas.
I am going to use FB insulation board for under the floor. I have not seen any problems with the floor compressing with this product. My floor will be 2.5" thick.
What was the time frame that you noticed the drop?

John, Thanks. I am fortunate that I can work on the oven during the winter and get ready for the summer.

Brian
Brian

Sorry to be so slow to respond. I looked at the box from my insulation. It is PBX by American Fibrex, or something very close to that. I estimate a one eighth inch compression around the bottom of the dome.

That compression left the center bricks a little high. Stepping on them brings them down flush where I want them. It is likely that your insulation is more rigid than mine.....the FB insulation has proven to be the one to use. It will take a bit more vigilance on my part, but mine will work out fine (a good thing my dome is still open).

Best Regards Brian

P.S. Don't know just when the compression took place...Probably as the chains went up....I would NOT use this insulation under the oven floor again!!!

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 03-12-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Serf

Wow, oddly enough my name is Brian and I also live in Ventura. I started my oven a few weeks ago and am just to the point of building the floor and dome(pics attached).

I was going to start on the dome this weekend but after reviewing and looking over countless pictures and messages in this site I have decided to expand the Pizza oven to include an open fire pit to one side. So I figured I would save the finish brick work until after the structure is complete.

Good to know there in also someone else in the area going through the same thing.

Have fun, I know I am.
Attached Thumbnails
The build has begun!-samll1.jpg   The build has begun!-small2.jpg   The build has begun!-small3.jpg  
Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Apprentice

Bmwdiver (Brian),

Yeah! That is a coincidence. It seems that our process is about at the same stage of the build. I'm going to start cutting the brick for the floor sometime during this next week as long as the rain gives me the chance. It will be nice to start building the dome.

What size is your oven going to be? Are you using the Forno Bravo plans?

__________________________________________________ _____

Lburou,

I hope your oven is going well with the floor situation.

Take care, Brian