Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Brick Oven Photos

Hey Stryke,
Nice to hear from you. Have you cooked anything special recently?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Laborer

Still trying to figure out how to upload the full run of photos from start to finish. In the meantime here are the last five shots including the completed oven attached as thumbnails.

I am in the fifth day of curing and temps got to 600 degrees last nite with NO splits or cracks in ceiling yet. Soot in very top of dome starting to burn off. That oven really throws off some heat out front!

Jim Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Brick Oven Photos-dsc00550.jpg   Brick Oven Photos-dsc00556.jpg   Brick Oven Photos-dsc00561.jpg   Brick Oven Photos-dsc00567.jpg   Brick Oven Photos-dsc00566.jpg  

Old 07-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very NICE Jim Bob. I love the night time shot. Gorgeous oven.

Updated!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Laborer

Ken,
Thanks.
Did you notice the yellow cords hanging out the brown box in the front of the oven? Those are the two thermocouple probe leads from the dome and the floor of the oven. I found that brown electrical box at Lowe's and it works fine to house the wires.
I still haven't decided what to do with the lower opening. Too damn low for me to store anything. Way below knee level!!
Jim Bob
Old 08-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Apprentice

Hey Jim Bob,
I just read your post about not knowing what to do with the bottom (storage) part of the oven. I'm planning to make an expanded metal bin that will open like a giant drawer on some full extension angle iron runners and wheels. I already drew out the plans for the runners and I think it will work just fine. That way I won't have to 'crawl' in the bottom to get wood! I'll just pull open the front door but it will really be a drawer!
Best to ya,
Rick
Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Laborer

Rick,
Thanks for the feedback on utilizing the lower storage area. Sounds like a plan. When complete could you take some pics and send them? Sure would like to see it in action.
I had hip replacement surgery two weeks ago and have been out of commission temporarily. Hope to be back firing the oven in another week or two. I really like having a cooking surface that is 52" above the ground!! I am 6' 31/2" tall and it is just right.
Jim Bob
Old 08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Journeyman

Jim-

Do you have any pics of the roof? Curious how you did that...

Oven looks fantastic!

See ALL of my pictures here:

Old 08-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Laborer

Breven,
Yes, i do have some pics of the roof. I watched the contractor and I still didn't believe it. Wasn't sure how in the world he planned to make a slanted brick roof without any support. Take a look. He filled the void with everything but the kitchen sink. We used some old gutter material to line the oven and pour the remaining vermiculite into it. Then he topped it all with sand and leveled it out. Then used that for a base for a nice level and smooth layer of brick on the roof. Turned out great. Not sure if I have too much thermal mass as opposed to insulation or not outside the oven. Did make strong effort though to ensure the full 4" thickness of the loose vermiculite.
Jim Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Brick Oven Photos-dsc00550.jpg   Brick Oven Photos-dsc00551.jpg   Brick Oven Photos-dsc00556.jpg   Brick Oven Photos-dsc00554.jpg   Brick Oven Photos-dsc00563.jpg  

Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 PM

It's interesting that your mason left the mortar hanging out and finished all the joints at once instead of cleaning them up as he went along:

I like an all-brick oven enclosure. I did mine that way partly because stucco is not one of my skills in life.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Journeyman

Wow...filled the house with sand...that makes sense.

Very cool, whatever you paid him- it looks like it was worth it!

See ALL of my pictures here: