Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Big Mike's 42" Pompeii

I did some more work on the chimney and transition last night. I'm generally happy with how it's shaping up after grinding down the inside faces so that they're all flush. There will be some tricky cuts to tie the dome into the chimney opening but I can see how it should happen now.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Mike's 42" Pompeii-chimney-transition-2-interior.jpg   Big Mike's 42" Pompeii-chimney-transition-3-interior.jpg  
Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Peasant

Yet more work on the chimney. Testing the fit over the opening to make sure it's all good. I need one more course of bricks under the flue and then it's good to get mortared in. I'm getting as much other stuff done before the weekend task of closing the dome.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Mike's 42" Pompeii-chimney-flue-mockup-1.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Peasant

I've been busy with work and graduation parties and haven't had a chance to update the build progress so here goes. Finished work up to the 9th course without using any supports but it's time. You can see it got a little elliptical from the way we did the square opening with the angle iron lintel, but this way every block is supported by another block underneath. I'm happy with the way it worked out, just going to be slightly out of round towards the front.

Tomorrow or this weekend we're going to build a small support to help finish the remaining courses. I'm hoping 12 courses and keystones for closing in the dome will do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Mike's 42" Pompeii-8th-course-halfway-done.jpg   Big Mike's 42" Pompeii-8th-course-done.jpg   Big Mike's 42" Pompeii-ninth-course-done.jpg   Big Mike's 42" Pompeii-transition-dome-chimney-1.jpg   Big Mike's 42" Pompeii-transition-dome-chimney-2.jpg  

Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Peasant

Here are a few miscellaneous shots of the chimney and oven profile. It looks so nice, everyone has said that we should just stucco the outside after the insulation goes on and I'm starting to agree. I love seeing the dome shape, it looks so cool.

The plan is to have a Pennsylvania blue stone hearth right in front of the opening, potentially running for the entire width of the oven. Gonna be pricey but having saved so much money with free stuff I think I can afford the splurge.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Mike's 42" Pompeii-chimney-side-shot-9-courses.jpg   Big Mike's 42" Pompeii-up-chimney.jpg   Big Mike's 42" Pompeii-up-9th-course.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Apprentice

Any reason why your not cleaning the dome as your going? Thats going to be difficult otherwise? Looks amazing other than that! nice pics..
Old 06-30-2011, 04:10 AM

Bluestone is great for a landing on an exterior oven. I used it, after an unfortunate try with local, free, slate, and it works great. It's more porous than you might think you would want for a cooking surface, but staining doesn't seem to be a problem.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Peasant

Yeah, the dome is a mess I admit. I thought that I could come along with a wire brush and knock all that mortar off easy peasy, but not so. I've had a few different opinions on how to handle it. I was going to get some muriatic acid and give the inside a quick wash, scrub and rinse but it was frowned upon. A few people have said it will just burn off and you won't even notice it. I don't care about how the inside looks as long as nothing is falling in my food when I cook, I've always seen this oven as a means to an end, nothing more than a giant cooking utensil. The Parthenon it isn't, but it should cook a mean pizza.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Bluestone is great for a landing on an exterior oven. I used it, after an unfortunate try with local, free, slate, and it works great. It's more porous than you might think you would want for a cooking surface, but staining doesn't seem to be a problem.
Any thoughts on limestone? It's half the price of blue stone but my concern is that it will stain like crazy.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Peasant

My buddy also happened to luck into some scrap granite but I have no idea how I would try to cut it to fit. My poor overworked wet saw would die an untimely death I'm afraid.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:53 AM

I'd pay the stoneyard to cut that piece of granite. They have BIG wet saws that are set up like radial arm saws that will cut long straight cuts in a minute.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.