Old 04-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Apprentice

Default more rocks looking cool

Here is the latest. You can see the hearth in place as well, I will get more pics up soon.

Chad
Attached Thumbnails
Bellingham Bread Oven-wall-4-12-06.jpg  
Old 04-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Way to go Chad. That looks just great. Eccellente. You have inspired me to take lots of photos of good looking stone walls on our Florence trip.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Apprentice

Amazing! Very inspiring, thank you for the continued photo updates.

I've been trying to determine how the fireplace and oven adjacent to my poolside arbor will fit in. James is working on dimensions for a corner oven but the round oven base intrigues me. Perhaps a more organic look such as this will be a solution.

I'm locating a vintage '59 travel trailer next to the arbor to serve as a pizza prep area and poolside bar. So without going over the top I want to play up the kitschy tiki thing a bit but still blend in with the Texas Hill Country meets Prairie style house. Confused? So am I.

Feel free to post any pics you feel might inspire me!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Master Builder

Is that a wine cask on its side in the backgound?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengineer
Is that a wine cask on its side in the backgound?
Perhaps a hot tub?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Serf

Love the wall and the look of the flowing rock.

Do you have time for an update?

Duke
Old 05-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Journeyman

Default I love rocks.

The rebar sticking out out of your wall is intriguing. Does that hold up the foundation rocks? Your wall is beautiful. Have you seen other brick rock blend walls? In Tasmania we have too many rocks. In L.A they are hard to find. I love rocks.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:50 AM
Master Builder

Red - not quite rebar but close to it. They are probably galvanized metal tabs (easily bendable). They tie in the rocks to to the block wall, in a sense flexible rebar. If you take a look at some old photos, and not so old, of earthquakes in California, Alaska and Japan you can come across examples where the facade fell off the the main structure becasue it was not tied in.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Apprentice

Default answers, I promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart
Perhaps a hot tub?
Yes, a hot tub. It is an old redwood tub about 4 feet across and four feet deep. It is heated with a snorkel stove. http://www.snorkel.com/stoves.html It is a very cool item, I just have to get around to building the deck to go underneath it... just anther project eh?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Apprentice

Cool update, pictures soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fe
Love the wall and the look of the flowing rock.
Do you have time for an update?
Duke I do have time for an update, but no new pics, I will see if I can get a couple tonight when I go home. I apologise for not writing more, but my progress has seemed so slow. I have to keep reminding myself that this is art. It is truly beautiful and when I get to work on it, it is a blast. I have been getting my bricks from a local free ad paper here called The Echo http://www.echoads.com/ and it is a wonderful thing. I have had bricks come in in dribs and drabs 100 here 300 there, 20 over there and I have been grateful for them. Seems as though lots of folks out there get some bricks with an intention to do a project and then wind up just playing checkers with them. ;-) I even got about 250 industrial kiln bricks. they are big, like 9X4X3 and they are heavy and really dense. Feels more like stone than brick. They are also white varying to almost a slight pink tinge. Very cool. They are also the hardest bricks I have seen yet. My carbide saw blade hardly scratches the surface compared to a common brick! Well a few weeks ago, a woman called me up and said she had a lot of bricks and did I want them. I asked how many and she said 4 pallets worth! Wow! She said she only wanted 15 bucks a pallet. Being the honest sort I am, I told her that was a pretty cheap price for new bricks and she told me I could get them anyway. I dont think these were standard pallets because in my experience it is usually 350 to 450 bricks a pallet. My two sons and I went there to get them armed with my buddies trailer a big 6'X12' built for stout dual axel trailer. Darned if we could only fit 3 pallets in hand stacking everything. I left one there which I will hopefully go get today, but when we got home and stacked them we had over 2000 bricks just in the three pallets![img]images/icons/icon4.gif[/img] Now I have to go get another pallet and haul them back later today! All for 60 bucks and a tank of gas. I must say, I am feeling pretty smug about the whole thing. [img]images/icons/icon6.gif[/img] So now I have more than enough bricks to build my wall and a few planters as well and I just have to get more rocks, but those arent that hard to come by. This is still a major big project. My girl that does this sort of work informs me that this sort of work bids out at about 30 bucks a square foot, for the face work alone. That does not include the foundation cinder block wall and the other side of the wall. Geez, this thing is going to be worth more than my house. I will get pics of things today if I have the time or the energy... See you all soon and thanks for your kind words and encouragement.
Chad

Last edited by janprimus; 06-12-2006 at 01:42 PM.