Old 07-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Apprentice

Default first homemade pizza!

Well we have done it. It works wonderfully. 4 minute pizze, beautiful baked potatoes, foccacia, I even roasted a salmon in there to perfection after it cooled off a bit. http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chad/M...d%20Salmon.jpg http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chad/Primo%20pizza.jpg http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chad/c...perfection.jpg http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chad/Foccacia.jpg
Oh yeah! It was so good. The crust was very tender and wonderfully browned. I loved the brown speckles on the top and how nicely it just browns quickly when you hold the pizza on the peel closer to the domed ceiling. I think my favorite combination was pesto sauce, mozzarella and fresh tomato slices. Next, was one made by our local great pizza place La Fiamma La Fiamma Wood Fire Pizza called a Sophia which had red sauce, finely shredded prosciutto and lightly cheesed along with fresh rosemary and red onion. They were all quite good. The roasted red peppers were incredible as well. Geez, it is all so good, but now I have enough food to last me a couple of weeks and I don't get to cook, unless of course, you all want to come over and I will feed you of course. It is what I do, or at least, one of the things I do. ;-)
Peace
Chad
Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Bellingham Bread Oven

beautiful before and after pics
Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Master Builder

That salmon looked outstanding, and the foccacia had perfect color. Mmm, cold cooked salmon on focaccia - salmon's one of the few fish that really does well a day later.

You're living the dream now.

Marc
Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Apprentice

Default Fired it up again.

I had to leave but left the oven in my sweeties capable hands. I was back two hours later and she was pulling the first pizza out of the oven. I was amazed how quickly it heated up and how hot it got! I got out my new Fluke 62 and shot the hearth 810 and then the dome 820! That was a pretty fast pie. We made several small pizzas trying out variations and it was a lot of fun. I did have one mishap. Mea Culpa Mea Culpa... The first pie I tried, I used flour instead of cornmeal and all the topping slid right off my dough along with a good portion of the cheese onto the very hot hearth. Damn! I got what i could out of there and cooked the crust with just a small amount of cheese and tomato sauce. It was still great.I then got all the gunk i could o the bottom and drug the big pile of coals over the hearth and let it burn it off for five minutes or so. It worked great, but I see a need for a nice brush now to help clean the hearth. I'll get there. Those tools are pricey. Gotta save my pennies. Anyway, it was great again. I must say, it is a lot of fun having the oven. My neighbor came over and wanted me to cook for her again. I encouraged her to get some dough made and she could make her own bread...

Chad
Old 08-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Master Builder

The brush is really good to have. When my dad first made his oven he did not have a brass bristle brush so he used a natural (I think straw) brush that he soaked, then shook out the excess water. Not ideal, because the steam generation cools the hearth, but good if you are in a pinch.

The sticking dough is something you should be able to get past, even with flour. It takes a little practice, but even with a 65% hydration dough it's very manageable. Don't leave the dough on the peel very long - just stretch it out, leave on the counter until you are ready to assemble, then place it on the peel (with some flour), top the dough, shake a few times to be sure it will release, then into the oven. I usually make the pizza on a floured wooden peel, then slide it onto my metal placing peel (no added flour) with the long handle, and right into the oven from there.

Marc
Old 08-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Apprentice

I have found that our local La Fiamma uses rice flour for pizza lube. It is coarser and doesn't leave the color impact of cornmeal. Something new!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jan,

Just an added thought: I've been using brown rice flour on my peels for years. Seems to work better and take longer to burn than anything else I've tried for my breads. The bottoms of the breads always come out clean.

Jim
Old 08-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Apprentice

Default Finished pics

It is finished at least for now. I have to admit, I love the look of the brick interior and really want to try my hand at one of those. I know, I am sick...

http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chad/Oven%20front.jpg
http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/chad/Oven%20backside.jpg

These are fairly large photos, but you can zoom in on them and get lots of detail. If there are any other shots you want, I would be happy to take them for you. I do have to get the copper to cover the front of the hearth and the insulation yet, but other than that it works great and is lots of fun.
Chad
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Finished pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by janprimus View Post
If there are any other shots you want, I would be happy to take them for you.
Sure, how about some shots of the "impossibly cute 20 year old"
Old 08-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wonderful thread and great pics.

Bravo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics: