Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: It is begun

Not bad, it is at 340 degrees, walls and floor, and that is without a proper door.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

And 11 hours later still at 220 degrees. Can't wait to get it fully insulated and dried out.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A full 48 hours after the fire died, with no door, it is still 120 degrees, 40-50 above ambient. Very surprising to me.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, I had a similar experience this week. 48 hours and 220 interior air temperature (door thermometer). That's without the last layer of insulation, although I did leave a fat bed of coals in the whole time.

We done good.

Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 03-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Inner Door

Here is the form for the inner door "core".

For the inner part of the core, I used 1-4 homebrew to perlite. This is 2-1/4" thick.

For the outer part of the core, I did 1-1 homebrew to perlite, 3/4" thick. I used tuckpointing trowels for the handles, my confidence level is not high on them. Start to finish 1 hour of work, several weeks of thinking about it.

After it sets and I trim it to fit, it will be cut in half. I will then coat it with a thin layer of modified thinset for a skin.

Last edited by Tscarborough; 03-12-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good luck. My experiments using similar materials didn't last. It cracked and fell apart. But mine was way thinner than yours-only 1" thick panel screwed into a timber door. Every time I made a panel that was insulating enough it was too weak and every time I made it strong enough it did not insulate well. The traditional method was to soak a timber door in water, although this also has its drawbacks. A steel door, being a good conductor will do a good job of sucking heat out of the oven, is unsafe to handle (ouch that's hot) although it won't burn.
I think the door is the WFO Achilles heel.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You are probably right, that is why I didn't waste a lot of time on this one.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The door was a FAIL. Plan B is AAC carved.

I did cook some pies last night, made 8 doughs, cooked six pizzas along with the spinach cannoli friends brought. Only one rolled into a calzone, too much sauce, too much time on the plate, and too many ingredients, now the good Doctor knows.

My bricklayer, AKA Dr. Feelgood:

With a dubious but loud bunch of groupies,

We worked our way through several pies.

We made a traditional Margahrita, and then used various combinations of pepperoni, red onion, baby portabellos, tomatos, garlic, and jalapenos. For cheese, I had some fresh Moz, and some fresh Oxaca. I preferred the Oxaca, esp. when I added a little parmesan .

The heat profile was 6pm 300, 7pm 8-900, end of cooking 6-800. This morning at 9am it was 4-500, and 5pm this afternoon it is 220ish.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My door failed, so I just bricked it up.

I baked biscuits in it this morning, and I must say they are the first biscuits I have ever made where the bottom was the same color as the top.

Got the metal roof on today, though not detailed down. Please pray for no more than light rain before next weekend in Central Texas.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Where do you think you are losing your heat? I was under the impression that a vault style oven had better retention then the Pompeii's. Did you have the door open for a while before it was closed?

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.