Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: It is begun

Hi Tsarborough.

You should be proud of all the work you have put in and the finally finished oven looks great!! And all that food has been perfectly cooked!! congrats!

I have a quick question around your smoke chamber opening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Here are some pictures to explain how the smoke chamber will work. The 8x8 flue liner will be at the top with a brick wrap.
What is the measurement from the inner vault arch to the outside arch? 7inches?

I am trying to work out measurements for my chimney design and need all the help I can get.

cheers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks, 7" is about right.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Door #2 bites the Dust

Time to go to plan C. All of the thinset simultaneously released on my second door (I dropped the part that broke). I now have castable insulating refractory available, so that will be the next version. This one still works fine (as does Door #1), but it is in even more pieces than Door #1, and takes a couple of seconds to assemble in the opening.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I didn't think the aerated concrete panel would last long. Mine did exactly the same thing. Cracked down the middle. It is not as good as the manufacturers claim and it uses portland cement in its manufacture. I also tried castable refractory and found that if made strong enough it was too dense and didn't insulate well enough and if too much insulation (perlite) added to the mix it was too brittle. I've now gone back to a wooden door, with an insulation panel, that I can handle with one hand.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:27 PM
Apprentice

Does Castable refractory require a HIGH temp to cure? I purchased my fireclay from a local refractory supply and was left with that impression.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine cracked when I dropped it. The only failure was of the thinset used to hold it together. I do not think that high temp is a requirement curing of castable refractory, it is a chemical reaction like any other cementious material.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Apprentice

Check out ANH Refractories for more refractory stuff. search for your locality. There are a few in Texas.
Tom,
I have a beekeeping business and would like to send you some honey for answering all of my repetitive questions. If you are comfortable with that give me your address in a private message or send it to my email, derkp (at)comcast.net

Derk
Old 04-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Castable refractory does not need temperature to make it set hard because it contains calcium aluminate cement. If it only contains clay it can be made hard if fired above 573C Castable refractory is best bought premixed (powdered) from a refractory supplier, but it is expensive.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nothing like cutting out a chunk of wall right in the middle of your counter. I decided to put in a charcoal grille, I got a nice cast iron slide in unit. I don't have a saw big enough but I have a friend who does. Too bad for my neighbors and daughter (her bedroom is the closest) that he could only break loose at 8:00AM this morning.

Tomorrow I hope to get the grill set, but for tonight, the fire is started, the dough is proofing, and the sauce is just coming to a simmer on the stove.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Apprentice

Your neighbors and daughter should be up by 8 on a sat morning anyway, too many projects, not enough time.

Is your sauce recipe posted on the forum somewhere?
Still waiting for your address to send honey to.
Derk