Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Laborer

Default Re: The Backofen

Trying to do a little each day after work! Almost done with the 4th course..hopefully pics tomorrow!

Trellis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Laborer

5th course almost done.. pics attached!
Attached Thumbnails
The Backofen-arch2.jpg   The Backofen-arch3.jpg   The Backofen-arch4.jpg   The Backofen-arch5.jpg   The Backofen-arch6.jpg  

Trellis

Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: The Backofen

You are making it look easy! Won't be long now

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Laborer

Default Help..Re: The Backofen

Ummm. Yah.. Well I am wiggin out .I dont know what to do. My project has been moving along nicely,but now I know that the calculations that i made were incorrect.. My dome is going to be right at 20". This is several inches higher than what I figured..my dome and brick work are good but the dome obviously higher than what it should be.. It looks more like a beehive than what i think it should look like. I am wiggin now .. I had help with the bricks , and yah there you go.
What should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
The Backofen-dome1.jpg  

Trellis

Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cook Pizza.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Trellis - Depends on how long ago you set those bricks. If it were me, and the bricks had been in place less than 48 hours - I would take a cold chisel and a rubber mallet and see if you can knock off the top two chains and redo them. I had a much less severe problem with the angles on my oven, and ended up doing this for one chain and I am very happy I did.

However, IIRC - you are using HS50 - which in my experience sets up quite a bit faster - so you might not even have that much time.

If the mortar is too set up, then removing the bricks is tricky. If you are following Texman's thread, you'll see what can happen. He ended up having to start over when he cracked his oven.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoredusa View Post
5th course almost done.. pics attached!
I can see in the pics in this post that you were started getting too shallow on your dome angle on the 4th and 5th chains. The interior face of the brick should have been flush against the bracket on your IT to get the height you were targeting.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Laborer

Thanks Tscar.. I am sure it will be functional.. will just have to figure out the properties of the oven .. not gonna stress about it anymore .. @Deejay.. I can see that now too.. will make the best of it!

Trellis

Old 05-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cut the next course with the top of the brick slanted to the inside of the oven at a pretty steep angle - probably need to make it 45 degrees or so. Then you'll be back on track.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Laborer

DEEJAY..! Thanks! Back on track!
Pics tomorrow!

Trellis