Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: The Backofen

You should set the bricks on a 50/50 mix of damp sand and fireclay, applied with a tiling trowel so you get those furrows. That will allow you to get the bricks nice and level.

I think you said you're using Heatstop or some similar (read expensive) mortar? If so, you might want to cut those sailor bricks with a ~5 degree angle on each side so they fit together more closely. You will use a lot less mortar.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Laborer

ok..Yah I bought heatstop 50.. 5 degree angle..ok.. I thought that was a big mortar joint when I put them next to each other!

Trellis

“Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Home Sweet Home ~ Colorado Springs!
Attached Thumbnails
The Backofen-peak1.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Actually, now that I think about it a little - I used 5 degrees in my 39" oven - which I think was about a 1/2 inch drop per side.

But your oven is quite a bit smaller, so I think you need a sharper angle. figure out how many full width bricks you need to go around the outside perimeter, then divide the inside perimeter by the same number of bricks and you have your drop

Outside perimeter= (28 + 9) * pi = 116.2 inches, so you need 25.8 half bricks

Inside perimeter= (28") * pi = 88 inches / 25.8 bricks = 3.4 inch interior face

So if my math is right, you want to cut an angle that takes roughly 0.55 inches ((4.5" - 3.4")/2) off of each side. That's a 7 degree angle.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: The Backofen

Trellis, if you make a Hendo tool and put it in place, then lay a brick on the perimeter, the tool (or straight edge from your center point to the outside corner of the brick) will give you the angle you want with no computation at all. That works for every ring. I would query David s about his 21 inch oven and ask specifically what he recommends about brick size.

BTW, in retrospect for us, there is more fun in using the oven than building it. I would not taper my bricks again. It was a lot of effort with little return. Also, I would not attempt a tiny mortar seam on the inside of the oven (that makes it impossible to completely chink the openings between the bricks with mortar. At least one forth inch of mortar between bricks has worked fine in many a good build. Those are a couple of my observations in hindsight, I hope they are useful to you.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 05-02-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 AM
Laborer

Thanks guys .. I am on my way to HD to get the materials for the IT and a new saw blade. will post progress this evening .. thanks again!

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoredusa View Post
Thanks guys .. I am on my way to HD to get the materials for the IT and a new saw blade. will post progress this evening .. thanks again!
I see the Kissing Camels in your signature! Lived one mile from them for 15 years, lots of good memories rock scrambling with my grandchildren.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
I would not taper my bricks again. It was a lot of effort with little return. Also, I would not attempt a tiny mortar seam on the inside of the oven (that makes it impossible to completely chink the openings between the bricks with mortar. At least one forth inch of mortar between bricks has worked fine in many a good build. Those are a couple of my observations in hindsight, I hope they are useful to you.

I agree you can get a good build either way. My suggestion to taper was based solely on the use of HS50. At $80-100 per bag, the return on tapering is that mortar goes much further. If you are using homebrew then the cost vs. time equation is less compelling.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I agree you can get a good build either way. My suggestion to taper was based solely on the use of HS50. At $80-100 per bag, the return on tapering is that mortar goes much further. If you are using homebrew then the cost vs. time equation is less compelling.
I wasn't trying to be mean, just reiterating my thoughts. Thoughts we discussed on the telephone, and were not pointed at your remarks deejayoh.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
I wasn't trying to be mean, just reiterating my thoughts. Thoughts we discussed on the telephone, and were not pointed at your remarks deejayoh.
no worries. I didn't take your comment as mean or critical in any way. apologies if my remarks came across as defensive. It's all good conversation
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Laborer

here is the photo of the brick..lemme know..
Attached Thumbnails
The Backofen-tool1zoom.jpg   The Backofen-tool2.jpg  

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~