Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 06:18 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Avocado Country 42" Pompeii

11/1/13 Our competed oven. Just need to put a finish on the storage door. It has been tons of fun and hard work, but we are proud of our accomplishment. Now the good times begin.
Attached Thumbnails
Avocado Country 42" Pompeii-photo-2.jpg   Avocado Country 42" Pompeii-photo-3.jpg  
Gulf likes this.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Peasant

Stonecutter, Thanks you for your reply. Yes, we did do all the work including the brick and stone. When I say we, I mean my wife and I. She is not afraid of working hard and getting her hands dirty. We really enjoy working together on projects.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Peasant

Stonecutter - From the quote you have at the bottom of all your post, I thought this might interest you. When we built our house, we had a local stone mason do our fireplace surround. He went to our local river bed and hand slit large granite boulders into 6" slabs, hauled them here and hand chiseled them to fit. We love the final product. Nearly all the grout joints are uniform in size and shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Avocado Country 42" Pompeii-photo.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbhumbert View Post
Stonecutter, Thanks you for your reply. Yes, we did do all the work including the brick and stone. When I say we, I mean my wife and I. She is not afraid of working hard and getting her hands dirty. We really enjoy working together on projects.
Very nice, that Mason knows how to handle a chisel. I particularly like the flared corners. Only one thing jumps out at me...the stone above the key is directly above it.
Just an aesthetic opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Journeyman

Very nice job! I personally think the local stone addition is a awesome idea, I cant wait to see it come together. Have you cooked in her yet, if so how's that going?

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 11-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Peasant

Chris, Thank you for your comments about the local stone. We were very lucky that we found enough stone on our property, and that most were fairly flat on at least one side. The color also worked well with the brick we chose (Sometimes even a blind chicken gets a worm).
Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Peasant

I put together a little slideshow of our oven build and uploaded it to YouTube. See following link.

Temecula Wood Fired Oven Build - YouTube

rbhumbert
Old 05-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

rb,

I just found your thread and am enamored with your oven, especially the curved slate roof. Quite handsome indeed! You will no doubt enjoy countless meals produced from your oven, and maybe a few avocado-inspired creations.

If you don't mind me asking: where did you purchase the firebricks for your oven and what kind are they?

John
Old 05-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Peasant

John,

We live out in the Temecula Area and I was able to find a local masonry supplier that had a fairly decent price. Orange County Pavers, Riverside Pavers, Temecula Pavers, OC Pavers - Go Brandel. They also have a store in Pomona. I couldn't really tell you the brand, type or specs. of the firebricks, just a standard firebrick used mostly for fireplaces. I think they were around $1.75 ea. I attached a photo. Are you planning to build an oven? It appears you live somewhere near Disneyland. I spent part of my early years in Anaheim and graduated from Anaheim High in 1969.

Here is a link to a little slideshow I uploaded to Youtube. Nothing very special.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWHPC30w_JY.

If I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask.
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Avocado Country 42" Pompeii-photo.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the reply and pic, Rich. I'm still working on my oven, a three year project. Luckily, I only have a little cladding work to do and I'm done. I've run close to a 100 pizzas through it so far.

I am interested in using up some of my firebrick seconds to build a smoker, though. I was just curious where your firebricks came from.