Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Serf

Default Re: Argentinean parrilla and 42" oven outdoor kitchen in Surrey/London

HI Gaucho,

Great pics and shed loads of work. Out of interest what insulation, how much of it do you intend to use? Whats the white board under the oven? I'm well on my way to building my first oven and trying to source materials seems to be difficult if you don't know what your after in the first place...lol
Old 11-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Serf

Hi
I have recently started reading about Feng Shui and learned that our kitchen is in the worst part of the house (Northwest) and that a kitchen should never be red (ours is cranberry red). I really don't want to repaint our kitchen white but am open to other colors that are good Feng Shui for attracting good luck, prosperity, wealth, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Laborer

Great work so far. I can't wait to see it all completed!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Laborer

Could you please expound of what makes a Parrilla different from a barbq grill? Before anyone complains, I am simply including links because it appears I cannot add a jpg or gif to a reply, and I represent neiother of the 2 companies below. I am a customer of the first, however.

For instance, we have a grill out here in California which looks like this:

Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters

Then, there is a really expensive Parrilla here:

The Grillworks 36

When I go to wikipedia, there are two kinds of parrilla....asado al disco and asado al horno de barro.

It appears that if I take a worn out disk plow or harrow blade, and weld three legs to it, I have an asado al disco. Build a fire under the asado al disco, and meat will cook channeling the grease to the center of the disk where it will drain. It appears that an asado al horno de barro is a wood fired oven like the subject of this forum, with a steel or cast iron rack that can be slid into the oven to hold meats. It also appears that a Parrillo refers to a low and slow grilling versus a sear.....Could you fill us all in? I am intensely curious.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM

A word of warning: a lot of the south american hornos have vents at or near the top of the dome, an approach that's been thoroughly discredited.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep, I have a lot of S. American customers, and being the prying type I ask everyone what they are building when I see signs (just firebrick, no refractory cement or flue tiles) of oven or firepit building, and ask them about what they are doing and to sketch it out.

A lot of the S. American guys draw the oven as a beehive with the vent in the center top and I can usually talk them out of it by showing them ovens here (and having our Colombian secretary translate the reasons since my Spanish is basura).

The Mexican guys have the right idea, as a rule, but the insulation is not something they worry about. I educate them as well as I can too.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Speaking of that, James, have you considered having your plans translated to Spanish? I direct a lot of people to your site, and many of those guys would benefit from Spanish instructions.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

That's a good idea -- except that I don't speak Spanish.:-)

In the spirit of Crowd-Sourcing, do we have any Spanish-speaking members who would be interested in taking on the translation. If someone could do the text translation, FB could do the production and distribution. I could provide you with the Word Doc with just the text.

What do you think?

James

Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Laborer

I use google toolbar, which will translate a web page from say Spanish to English in a matter of seconds.

In some instances, the order of the words in a sentence seem a little out of place, but it's no worse than hearing a PA Dutch guy saying "Throw the horse over the fence some hay."
Old 12-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Master Builder

Google Translate