Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Another Kiwi Oven

Looks great.

It seems like you worked very quickly.
How long did it take you to reach this point?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 06-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Serf

Thanks,

It took me a weekend to lay the floor and build the dome.
I lay the concrete slab on 8th May, Vermiculite on 16th May, floor and dome on 7th, 8th of June, big curing fire by mistake 14th June and the insulation and Vermiculite covering on the 15th June.

Another fire Wednesday and big Party on the 21st.

May or may not render the dome between now and the 21st. Depending on time frames.

Last edited by knownasgriff; 06-15-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-23-2008, 04:21 AM
Serf

Well there is nothing like diving in at the deep end... Had a party for my 40th and so used the WFO in anger for the first time. Had about 20 people over and cooked about 30 pizzas over about 3 hours. Got to a point where I was cooking 2 at a time and shuffling the pizzas front to back. Had the help of a fantastic peel made for me by a great mate, sculpted American Hickory handle stainless steel blade and monogrammed. Built a door as well, possibly temporary, out of western red cedar with a handle made from sapele mahogany. The oven was over 512C (950F) when my thermometer maxed out when I was cooking, 24 hours later was still at 150C (300F) with the door helping. The door fist both in front of and behind the chimney vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Kiwi Oven-dsc02613.jpg   Another Kiwi Oven-dsc02614.jpg   Another Kiwi Oven-dsc02617.jpg   Another Kiwi Oven-dsc02618.jpg   Another Kiwi Oven-dsc02619.jpg  

Old 06-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Serf

Good stuff I was hoping to find some more Kiwi's on the board...I would be interested to know where you got your bricks...Like Monier or something?

Also - the kiwi terms for the mortar / fireclay prods your settled on?

J - AKL
Old 06-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Serf

J,

I got my bricks from placemakers in the end, they were cheaper for the amount I got than the manufacturer, Shinagawa, in Huntley. A company called certec in Ak has bricks cheaper than that and Bevan at Certec is very helpful. I bought my premixed refractory mortar, ceramic blanket and refractory concrete from certec, got 50kg of refractory castable from shinagawa, vermiculite from nuplex construction products (use fine or medium) otherwise give me a call and we can chat.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Serf

cool thanks Bob...

Love all your photos....

I'm still a couple months off building as we are moving in two weeks. I appreciate all your tips and hints on local supplies...I will definitely be in touch once the 'purchasing' begins.

Thanks mate - well done on your build! How do you plan to finish? Stucco?

o
Old 06-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Serf

No worries at all.

I am in two minds I have seen some stunning brickwork on the forum and that would be great however plastering it would be quick and I would shape the vermiculite a little first (is just crumbles off).

Just finished reading your 10 random questions post and they were some good questions.

Chat soon