Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   Abandon oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/abandon-oven-3438.html)

gjbingham 02-29-2008 06:00 AM

Abandon oven

2 Attachment(s)
I saw a couple of friends at Christmas that I only meet up with a couple of times a year. I told them I was building a pizza oven. They looked surprised because they had just come back from the coast and while driving, found what they thought was an abandon pizza oven. They thought it was so unusual that they took photos. They sent me the pics by email.

Looks like a barrel vault oven to me. Please correct me if I'm wrong. According to my friends, its just sitting next to an empty house near Westport, WA. Nothing else around, which is clearly obvious in the background of the photo.

Just thought it was interesting and worth posting.

G.

Dutchoven 02-29-2008 06:15 AM

Re: Abandon oven

Sad...by the look of the stand it went up quickly...and seemed to be quite eclectic builders...definitely looks like a barrel vault...that seating/counter area is nice...could be a good example for some other builders
Dutch

Xabia Jim 02-29-2008 06:57 AM

Yeah, the brickwork on the front is kind of neat.

Wonder if it was ever used, not much sign of soot, if any!

Thanks George,

asudavew 02-29-2008 07:35 AM

Can you imagine the wood required to heat that sucker~!

gjbingham 02-29-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asudavew (Post 25319)
Can you imagine the wood required to heat that sucker~!

Maybe that explains the lack of surrounding vegetation and the empty house. They ran out of wood and moved away. :)

Frances 02-29-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjbingham (Post 25338)
They ran out of wood and moved away. :)

If that's it, then you'd better think twice about using your apple trees for cooking Pizzas, George! Never know where that might lead...

Nah, probably at one time there was a whole village standing round there. Now everything else has fallen down and all that's left is the oven.

brokencookie 02-29-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frances (Post 25349)
Nah, probably at one time there was a whole village standing round there. Now everything else has fallen down and all that's left is the oven.

If thats the case, it is another testament to the durability of brick ovens :p

Bruce

n2iko 02-29-2008 01:54 PM

I looks a fairly modern build to me. Bet it was built for a song from found materials. It looks used a bit, also.

Put up a tent and have yourself instant roadhouse. :D

--mr.jim

Inishta 02-29-2008 09:04 PM

It certainly looks like the stand has been built by an amateur and the oven by someone with bricklaying skills. There has been some good design input, the brown brick strip on either side and shelves built into the front. I like the serving area with seats. The house may now be empty but there is a modern tractor in the yard and a loaded trailer. Perhaps it was used for workers on a much larger farm?

gjbingham 02-29-2008 10:06 PM

Good observation, Inishta. I wish I'd seen it myself. I'm working from second hand knowledge. Who knows, maybe a woman with 177 cats (and no cat box) lives there. I just thought it was cool. The brickwork seems haphazard, but somehow, it just seems to work.

Funny what people come up with, and how we can discuss it, ad nauseum. Something like the art world. I like it, you hate it, you like it, I hate it. Right or wrong, its an art form. Cool world huh?