Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Chip, thanks for the tip, I have just been putting together my arch form and thought about this reveal stop. Is it to keep the bricks in line and even for the future door jamb?
If so the penny has now dropped and indeed a good idea to enable a better fitting.
Thanks
Paul
Old 08-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Master Builder

Don't want to hijack the thread. Nope not offended in the least and I love to joke around also. The bakery thing requires much more research and learning before I jump in with two feet. I am fully aware of the risks and that is why I am moving slowly. In the mean while I'm baking and building a bread list of new breads...It's all good :-)
Old 08-24-2013, 03:24 AM
Apprentice

Faith maybe you can send me a recipe or two when I eventually get my oven built.
You sound really busy...glad to hear all is good.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:42 AM
Master Builder

Will do, let me know when your ready.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 AM
Apprentice

I posted my IT & arch template on the wrong thread (mortar gaps)
Oops
Here is my newer version as adapted from Laku's diagram.

The wood shaft now points to the centre of the brick depth.
Thanks to Tex and Dejayoh for pointing out my error I now hope this will work better.
Attached Thumbnails
82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-001.jpg   82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-002.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 05:17 AM
Master Builder

Nice, I found when I went up towards the top I needed to make my bricks narrower so I had to cut down my IT tool. Just a heads up.

Faith
Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 AM
Apprentice

Today I have enquired about shaped fire bricks for the arch, unfortunately the suppliers have said there are none, I must cut them.

I wished to make my arch like that of Octoforno and Chips etc so to incorporate the transition, this means I would have to cut my bricks on there edge lengthways, difficult with only a angle grinder, so I have an idea that if I make a small cut around the line I wish to cut and then finish off with a hammer & chisel would this work? ( I shall practice on an old brick first to see how It turns out)

Secondly does anyone have a spreadsheet/calculator for the angles I would need to cut.
My opening is 410mm x 26mm (16" x 10") the bricks are 65mm deep x 250mm L x125 W and I wish for gaps to be max 8mm.

Paul
Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Paul
If you have 5 full bricks spanning a section of an arch you have 4 large gapes inbetween on the outer edge. If you split those bricks lengthways you now have 10 1/2 bricks occupying the same space and 9 spaces inbetween . The 9 gapes inbetween occupy the same space that the four did but are smaller.
82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-image.jpg
The arch on my oven is made up of 2 in pavers instead of 3 1/2 in brick and as you can see makes the arch look smoother because of the larger amount of smaller gapes.
If you were to cut full size bricks to suit the arch you would have to produce them with a cut on either side. A fairly accurate cut as well , I built with an angle grinder and I recon it would be hard to keep your accuracy. Perhaps you might consider a single straight cut lengthways though each bricks and build the arch with more pieces and more smaller gapes on the outside.
Of course I didn't think of this by myself another forum member beat me too it!
Hope this helps in some way
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshireknight View Post
Today I have enquired about shaped fire bricks for the arch, unfortunately the suppliers have said there are none, I must cut them.

I wished to make my arch like that of Octoforno and Chips etc so to incorporate the transition, this means I would have to cut my bricks on there edge lengthways, difficult with only a angle grinder, so I have an idea that if I make a small cut around the line I wish to cut and then finish off with a hammer & chisel would this work? ( I shall practice on an old brick first to see how It turns out)

Secondly does anyone have a spreadsheet/calculator for the angles I would need to cut.
My opening is 410mm x 26mm (16" x 10") the bricks are 65mm deep x 250mm L x125 W and I wish for gaps to be max 8mm.

Paul

You don't need a spreadsheet for those cuts. Use your IT to figure out the angle for the top bricks and carry that around

Old 08-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Apprentice

!st Row completed.
I noticed when I put the arch template back it doesn't quite match with the edge of bricks can this be rectified on the next course?

To make my hemispherical arch do I start turning the bricks in at this point, I have noticed others turn after the 2nd course?

Cobbler Dave, thanks for the tip will look at this method if its not a detriment to doing what Dennis, chip and Octo etc have done. Your idea was done on the outside arch but maybe it will work on the inside too.

Thanks Dennis, I see that you went through a similar problem although you had the right tools for the job to cut angle your bricks for the arch.
Attached Thumbnails
82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-1-st-course-001.jpg   82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-1-st-course-003.jpg   82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-1-st-course-005.jpg   82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-1-st-course-004.jpg