Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshireknight View Post
another day in the life.......

I did ask a question earlier but has not been answered regarding how to make the template for the arch, so if anyone can read that post and help I would be much obliged.

So if theres anything you see on the photies that looks untoward please let me know.

Faith, you must be a glutton for punishment if your embarking on another oven project!!!

Thanks to all who have been of great assistance over the last few days.....................don't go away !!!
I would cut two pieces of the board in your picture to be identical to your desired arch and space them in between with small pieces of 2x4 lumber and screw it all together so the template is free standing. remember to use removable spacers at the bottom so you can remove the template once the arch is built. is that what you were needing?
Texman
Attached Thumbnails
82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-img_0234.jpg   82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-img_0379.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Thanks Texman,
I apologise for not being clear, I understand what you say about the 2 boards etc, but what I'm trying to figure out is the shape of the curve how do you draw it onto a template?

My idea of bending a board to some form of arch maybe? but it looks odd compared with others I've seen thereby wondering if there is a mathematical answer?

Thanks Texman
Ps Not tried the udder test yet
Old 08-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Apprentice

By the way Texman, that's some ingenious device you have there, are you a crane driver? lol

Paul
Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Master Builder

Post Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

i had a hemisphere arch so i made a compass from a piece of scrap. Just a board with two holes-one for pivot point and the other to hold the pencil. perfect circle every time. i didn't take a picture of it though. The pivot point is the center bottom of your arch and the pencil is the diameter of your arch.

Am i on the right track? I also made a homemade compass like this attached.

Texman
Attached Thumbnails
82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-img_0431.jpg   82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-comph2.gif  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Master Builder

Smile Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Quote:
By the way Texman, that's some ingenious device you have there, are you a crane driver? lol

Paul
no on the crane, just crazy enough to build round stuff out of brick.

Tex

Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Use a circle calculator to figure out the effective radius of a circle for the arc you want - and then use a piece of string to draw it. Look at the link. You know the "chord" and the "segment height". From that you can calculate the radius

Circle Calculator

Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Apprentice

SPOT ON !! Tex & DJ

Its easy when you know how isn't it? I'm just a thick Yorkshireman !! you know what they say. Yorkshire born Yorkshire bred, strong in't arm thick in't 'ed.

or Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha canna tell him much.

Now armed with that dangerous thing we call knowledge I will be able to progress.... well when I've got some wood to do it with.

Thanks very much and many thanks for your spreadsheet DJ came in useful today.

Paul
Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A little late as there have been several posts in between, but the reason you want a board on the outside is to provide a positive stop for the reveal, yes mine got a little off andi wandered back slightly as I made my inner arch, not mor than 1/8 inch but it is noticeable. On the sealing of the door.

Your flue arch - outer arch should have a internal radius about 1 inch larger than the reveal at all points so you can have a door with 3/4 inch larger radius than the reveal and still roome to move the door in and out of the flue arch without hitting anything.
Attached Thumbnails
82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-image.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-21-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Faith in Virginia, little question for you, did you lay your bricks on there sides when you got higher up or from the start?

Faith, you must be a glutton for punishment if your embarking on another oven project!!!

Thanks to all who have been of great assistance over the last few days.....................don't go away !!!
Yes the first row is the soldier brick row all other rows were on their side.

No I'm looking forward to my twins. Thinking of two 6'x8' ish bread ovens side by side.

Psss... to Russell, Faith is my real first name and it does say female on my drivers license. ;-)
Old 08-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Apprentice

Good Look with the twins Faith, are you going into mass production of bread? Give Hovis a run for their money.

Ps So they still issue driving licences to females in Virginia ? Only Joking Faith, honest!! lol