Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Use 4:1:1:1 sand, lime, Portland cement, powdered clay.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Apprentice

Thanks again Dave.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshireknight View Post
Hi Chip,
Thanks for your guidance and for pointing me to Octoforno.
Present company considered it must be the most detailed, informative and cleanest project I've come across.
I notice that you too have adopted the same method, would you still do this again if you had the opportunity.
I understand what you say about the arch being able to support the oven I can see by photos how the weight is transferred to the floor and not on the arch.
I also notice your first row was not a soldier sailor, tinker tailor, but laid flat any particular reason ?
Although I don't understand everything what was said in both yours and Octoforno post on the first read of them but I am going to try that method too.
You mentioned in one of your (also very informative and detailed) posts that you cut the brick in half lengthwise although the photos look to me like they are cut in half width ways.
Your build looks good and would be more than happy if my endevours turned out nearly as good.
I don't have access to such machines as the HF only the 125mm angle grinder & 220mm which only just goes through the width of a brick. So could I still manage to adopt your idea or would it be too difficult with the tools I have?
I like the list of tools you posted like the hand lotion, hand lotion indeed !
I would not build my inner arch any othe way. At this time I think is the state of the art for inner arch design.

Cutting the bricks lengthwise to add a keystone shape to every brick on the arch was not necessary but it did aid in keeping my joint spacing narrow and I am glad I did it. It may be difficult for you - I had a 14 inch comercial wet saw that made the taske easier.

As far as soldier you can get the exact same dimensions of a soldier by doing multiple ( probably 3 )courses of half bricks laid flat. Because the bricks have offset seams and are mortared horizontally as well as vertically the bond is stronger than using soldier. soldiers really need buttressing or a strap of some type to keep them from pushing out. Just build vertically until you reach the height you want for a vertical sidewall. Theonething I would have done differently is to start my dome with splits so that the metal peel did not meet the mortar joint at the floor level, the split would raise the second course of brick so that the floor would center on the second course of brick, or course 1.5 because the first is obviously a half height for this example.

Read and re-read john's OctoForno post and it will suddenly hit you as to what is going on with the arch, it will become clear.

I know I caught grief from some of the brickies out there for the hand lotion but - it worked
david s likes this.

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-19-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Corrected soldier when I said sailor before
Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think soldiers on the first row is a design deficiency and encourages cracking at the base of the dome.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Master Builder

i agree with David on the soldiers, use Sailors there. easier too build that way as well.
Texman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman View Post
i agree with David on the soldiers, use Sailors there. easier too build that way as well.
Texman
No, sailors is wrong too because they also stand up and even worse they are side by side which makes the walls thinner and even weaker. You are better to lay them flat.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Master Builder

Post Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

i meant flat-still dont understand the sailor/soldier thing apparently. I thought sailer was flat, soldier upright.
sorry to confuse this.

So, it is a header of half brick?

Texman

Bond: a pattern in which brick is laid.
Stretcher: a brick laid horizontally, flat with the long side of the brick exposed on the outer face of a wall.
Header: a brick laid flat with the short end of the brick exposed.
Soldier: a brick laid vertically with the narrow ("stretcher") side exposed.
Sailor: a brick laid vertically with the broad side exposed.
Rowlock or Bull Header[1]: a brick laid on the long, narrow side with the small or "header" side exposed.
Shiner: a brick laid on the long narrow side with the broad side exposed.
david s likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by texman; 08-19-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: add explanations
Old 08-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This subject about brick names comes up periodically, so here is a picture and names.
Attached Thumbnails
82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria-brick-orientation.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

:Good one russell they say a picture soaks a thousand words. How true.

I just learnt something.

That post needs to be somewhere more central where easily found by newbies

Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Apprentice

Chip, thanks for your info again and I shall look at the little niggle you mentioned about the peel catching on the mortar joint and yes I shall reread about this innovative design.
I like it. Can I do it ???? we will see.
Dave , Russell & Texman
thank you for the clarification on tinker tailor soldier sailor, I must admit I was unsure and have read many posts on the matter as to which one may be best BUT NOW I have a third choice and on reflection I think your right Dave a soldier is a design flaw and so I am going outside soon to look at laying them flat ( header of half brick ) It does make sense that they would be more stable and like Chip says you can raise it to your desired height perhaps 2 or 3 high.
Im all for an easy life and the less cutting I do the better, my bricks are a mess little knocks here and there but beggars cant be choosers I suppose but I do admire, nay, envy, the clean cut sides of your builds.
PS any recommended product for the Hand Lotion Chip?