Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 48" brick oven from Melbourne

Dario,

Are you still going to leave the dome brick without insulation? If so this will act as a heat sink. If you are just placing CaSi under the floor only, it is better than the sand but just be aware of the dome wall sitting on the sand will the cause heat loss just like the floor would of on top of sand.

To answer your question about the CaSi, no glue, just stagger seams. Level with a 50% fire clay/sand dry mix or slurry. If slurry, need to coat CaSi to prevent from sucking up all the water too quickly.

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-22-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 48" brick oven from Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario View Post
I've found Cal Sill board from Hallam it's going to be delivered tomorrow, was $32 a board 1000x500x50mm x3=$96 and $12.95 delivery.
Do i need to glue them together or just cut the size of my floor and lay them under the tiles?
If i need to glue them together what material i should use ?
The stand is massive, i didn't know it's going to be that big ...hehe.

Thank you for the input and advice.
G'day
Its critical to insulate under the hearth floor and the dome if its outside your hearth. Its good to insulate under you entrance hearth as well.
If you have a flat top to your stand you might not have to level the ceramic board and because its a uniform product usually you might not find the need to level the hearth on it as well. Your the builder in reality and you must make these decisions yourself. Well answer any questions and heaps of pics will help
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:53 AM
Peasant

G'day,
I went today to a Melbourne Fire Brick Company and picked the CalSil boards my self, I had a chat with Ben and he recommends to start all over again it's just bloody hard to nock my baby down now at this stage.
Very hard decision!!! I know most of you recommend me to start all over again as well. Hmmm.
All my work goes down the window.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 AM
Master Builder

Hey Dario - Tough decision. You will probably be a lot happier knowing it is done right and will pass the test of time. It will go up a lot quicker the second time with the experience you have gained and if you do it right you will know that it will still be turning out good food for the children of your grandchildren.

The cost will be about the same but done right it will work a lot better.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool Re: 48" brick oven from Melbourne

G'day
Even, last, man jack of the guys who have posted on your thread harbours a desire to build another oven.....your decision means in a way you have a jump on most of them ( davids excluded of course)
Regards dave
ATK406, Greenman and Blunt Tool like this.

My Build

My Door

Old 04-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dario

PM me and I will let you know where to obtain. I live in werribee and work in the hillside area.there is a place in sunshine west.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:31 AM
Serf

Is it not possible just to pull up your fire brick layer and cut the board to fit?

How much of the dome have you built?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Acrigg,

The heat sink problem would still exist since the dome bricks are sitting on the sand too.

Dario,

I second and third that the rebuild will be much faster than the original build and in the long run the better oven performance will far outweigh the setback.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree Russell.

Dario as I said Pm me and I will contact you and let you know all my sources for materials

Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

These sources alluded me but I sussed them out and that allowed me to build the oven I did. Meeting my requirements to the letter and I sourced materials at go I'd process. Do it right and you won't regret it do it wrong and you will regret not listening.

I pulled mine down twice as it wasn't right.Don't settler on second best.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-24-2014 at 07:59 AM.