Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 04:40 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: 48" brick oven from Melbourne

Dario - if your are looking for what to put on top of a concrete base you can either use calsil board or vermicrete for under oven floor insulation.

I used vermicrete myself and it works fine and is probably a fair bit cheaper.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-22-2014, 05:07 AM
Peasant

Thank you Colin and Steve,
Where i can get the vermicrete i live in Hillside Western Suburbs. Wouldn't Hebel block from bunnings be good enough on the top of my base?
I can always take my floor and sand out, install Hebel or vermicrete insulation and lay floor back to a same position!
Does that make sense?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Peasant

It may be the Calsil board way to go?
Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario View Post
It may be the Calsil board way to go?
Dario,

For what my opinion is worth, I think some CalSil board under your hearth bricks would be both the easiest and most effective option (especially compared to vermicrete).

Andrew
Old 04-22-2014, 06:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dario,

Inch by inch or I guess in your end of the world mm by mm, CaSi board is substantially more thermally efficient than Vcrete, ie 2" CaSi is roughly equivalent to 4" of vcrete but more expensive. Do what works for you but in any case I agree with the others that you will be fighting a losing battle if you do not insulate under your floor and this include the first dome course.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-22-2014, 06:29 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario View Post
Thank you Colin and Steve,
Where i can get the vermicrete i live in Hillside Western Suburbs. Wouldn't Hebel block from bunnings be good enough on the top of my base?
Hi Dario,
I live in Syria and we have a war running all over the country. I started my project a few months ago and it was delayed just because I have been looking for the right insulation. In spite of the war, after a few months of search I could eventually find the right insulation recommended by the forum and have it delivered to my home, so be patient, just look for the insulation and you will certainly find it, The insulation is the main factor which determines whether you will be happy with your oven or not, with well insulated oven, you can still cook for 2 or 3 or even 4 days from a single firing. Remember, you are building an oven that may outlive you and still running fine, so whatever the costs, you are the winner.
Good luck with your build.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 AM
Apprentice

One thing you might consider, call Forno Bravo in Ca. Ask them where they recommend someone in Australia aquire the FB board that they sell.

Perhaps shipping is not all that bad?
Or they might know where you can find an equivalent.

Good luck.

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

Old 04-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Hebel can be a good secoundary insulation as Colin has used but its better protected from the cracking heat that these ovens produce by a layer of ceramic board or pearlite cement.
Goggle "refractory" and you should find a supplier of firebrick and refractory insulation in Melbourne for sure . For pearlite keep away from the bunnings 10 ltre bags its too expensive google hydroponic suppliers, or garden/farming supplies. 100 ltre should cost you $30 to $40
Its worth while taking your time to insulate otherwise you use it for a bit and then loss interest in gathering and chopping wood to feed it pretty fast.
Read your instructions they are a good base line and ask heaps of questions, there are no silly ones most of us have asked them ourselves.
Regards Dave
By the way that's a good strong looking stand

My Build

My Door

Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Serf

I used perlite concrete for under the cooking floor with a ring of cement so there was structure for the dome.

I'll post a pic, it only took 1 100L bag a a cost of 30$. I've been told I would have used cemen fondu instead of Portland cement, but I had already done my pour by that stage.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Peasant

I've found Cal Sill board from Hallam it's going to be delivered tomorrow, was $32 a board 1000x500x50mm x3=$96 and $12.95 delivery.
Do i need to glue them together or just cut the size of my floor and lay them under the tiles?
If i need to glue them together what material i should use ?
The stand is massive, i didn't know it's going to be that big ...hehe.

Thank you for the input and advice.