Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 44 Gallon Drum Oven

Great build - I like the flue "pipe" and its decorative rain blocker!!!

Are you considering adding a door arch as suggested to get the 62% ratio to chamber height??

Rossco
Old 01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Serf

Thanks...we have a door as such...in fact to be totally honest it is 20 inch saw blade ....high tenslie steel......it sits right in frnt of the oven once I start cooking...it seems to work like a treat cause this thing gets bloody HOT and stays hot... My wife says this oven is pretty much the same as me... bent ....but in a fun way

Tell you what though mate..my family are at me all the time to

FIRE UP the oven and cook for them

Guess as things go then I got this fairly right ...it is one the best social things we have ever done.....it is just brilliant to sit around a sink a few cold ones while dinner cooks
Old 01-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Serf

and to be again honest I have no bloody idea what 62% ratio to chamber height means
NO IDEA mate..but..reckon we are doing ok for an old man and his wife ........the love of my life
Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds good bad!!

Keep the pics coming (food shots too). I reckon you have started a new craze in cheap DIY, recycled WFOs. Do I sense a winning entry in the Great Australian Backyard Barbie Award 2010 here?

Rossco
Old 01-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman
Do I sense a winning entry in the Great Australian Backyard Barbie Award 2010 here?

Anyone else envisioning an Oscar-like statuette of Barbie in a chef's apron waving a big set of tongs? Name:  noid.gif
Views: 1414
Size:  1.0 KB

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 01-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Red face Re: 44 Gallon Drum Oven

Hehehe ... the popularity of Barbie in Australia, particularly the "backyard" variety, should never be understimated. The inclusion of an Oscaresque award to mark this obsession would therefore not be out of place here! I like your suggestion of a possible design concept!

Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archena View Post
Anyone else envisioning an Oscar-like statuette of Barbie in a chef's apron waving a big set of tongs? Attachment 17168
Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Peasant

I almost whent that way with the barell, now I know what it might have looked like.
What I do have now is a great looking half round door that keeps my wood dry.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Serf

I am looking at building this sort of oven as well, and putting it on wheels so I can bring it out when I need it and pack it away.

The oil drum thing is perfect because it'll reduce cracking, and let's face it, it's much easier. However, I have a question on the placement of your chimney.

I've been working through some other notes etc etc, and I think the chimney would actually work better if it were in the center or closer to the mouth of the oven.

By having the fire directly below the chimney, a huge amount of heat is lost. Smoke should't be an issue because it will rise and stay at the top of the oven. Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Most ovens built around here (forum) have the chimney in the front. Older ovens often had read chimneys or 'squirrel tail' chimneys where the opening is in the read of the oven and the outlet at the front.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Apprentice

Absolute Genius. I can't wait to do this for a friend or two who have been envying my oven.

My slow journey to pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.