Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 42" Pompeii in Kentucky

I just finished laying the brick. As I was finishing it started raining and splashed some mortar on the brick on the left side. I hope a pressure washer will take it off after it dries. Tomorrow I will start building forms. Can someone tell me if the perlite concrete will support the weight of the oven? I have cut my oven floor bricks to fit inside the dome walls and the dome will be built directly on the slab. I was just wandering if I should stop the perlite at the edge of the floor and build the dome on structural concrete or if it's ok to build the dome on the insulating concrete.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii in Kentucky-dsc02746.jpg   42" Pompeii in Kentucky-dsc02745.jpg  
Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdickerson View Post
I was just wandering if I should stop the perlite at the edge of the floor and build the dome on structural concrete or if it's ok to build the dome on the insulating concrete.
You should build the whole oven, dome and floor, on top of the perlcrete. It has good compressive strength. Did you download the free plans from the forno bravo store? Insulation under the dome may be the most important step...Of course all of the perlcrete must sit on top of the structural slab.

Great looking work so far!

Drake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DrakeRemoray; 05-07-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the reply Drake. Yes I did download the plans. I was just a little concerned about the compresive strength of the perlite concrete. After the last post I did a little research and if I understand it correctly a 5:1 mix of perlite and portland is in the neighborhood of 300psi. I'm sure thats sufficient but somehow it just doesn't seem right. But then again I have never used this stuff. I need to just trust the plans and all of those of you that have been through this.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Laborer

Poured some concrete today. Hard work. Thought I would post some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii in Kentucky-dsc02747.jpg   42" Pompeii in Kentucky-dsc02753.jpg   42" Pompeii in Kentucky-dsc02748.jpg   42" Pompeii in Kentucky-dsc02752.jpg  
Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdickerson View Post
After the last post I did a little research and if I understand it correctly a 5:1 mix of perlite and portland is in the neighborhood of 300psi. I'm sure thats sufficient but somehow it just doesn't seem right. But then again I have never used this stuff. I need to just trust the plans and all of those of you that have been through this.
If the perlite can hold 300 psi, then considering an 8 sq inch footprint of a soldier, you are talking a compression capability of 2400lbs per brick. With maybe 40 soldiers, the perlite would support a 100,000 pound oven (In theory). I was worried about the perlite mix also, especially because it stays spongy for about a week, but it works great.

Dave
Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Laborer

Dave, I'm glad you mentioned that the perlcrete stays spongy for a week because I was just going to ask. I poured the perlite mix early this morning and after about 15hrs it feels like a rice krispy treat, probably doesn't taste like one though. I thought I would post a few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii in Kentucky-dsc02767.jpg   42" Pompeii in Kentucky-dsc02773.jpg  

Last edited by ckdickerson; 05-13-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Laborer

I pulled the forms off today. The insulating concrete has dried nicely and is very firm. I hope to start constructing the dome and floor this weekend and maybe post some more pictures. I realized yesterday that I forgot to leave a hole in the slab for my floor thermocouple so I stopped today after work and bought a 12" long 1/4" masonry bit. I hope I don't hit rebar!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Apprentice

Looking nice. Could not be 100% sure from the pics, but you have a concrete slab with rebar in it that you poured on Saturday and then you put the perlcrete over it on Sunday right? It will take some time to setup, and keeping it damp during the week will help it setup.

Nice work on the foundation - you look like you must have some prior masonry experience to get it that nice on your first shot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Laborer

Thanks for the reply tfasz. Yes I poured the structural concrete on Saturday followed by the insulating layer Sunday. I have been keeping a tarp over it to keep the sun off of it and it has set up nicely.

I have layed a few blocks and brick in the past but I'm taking my time and trying to do a nice job. It's not perfect but pictures hide alot.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Laborer

Didn't work on the oven much today but I did manage to get the floor laid. I used a 1:1 fire clay and fine sand mixture which was very difficult to work with. The mixture seemed to dry faster than I could lay the brick. My floor ended up a little uneven but I can live with it. I am attaching pictures of the floor and the thermocouple installed into the brick before laying. The thermocouple is recessed into the brick 1/2" from the cooking surface.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii in Kentucky-dsc02780.jpg   42" Pompeii in Kentucky-dsc02781.jpg