Old 07-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa

Got row six done last week and started on row 7 today. I've set the first brick repeatedly all morning, only to have the whole thing slide in when I get about three set. I've been letting them sit increasing intervals inbetween, but I'm afraid at this pace I'll be cooking pizza sometime around the next world cup.

Any tips for holding them in place? My indespensible tool works for one brick, but then when I move it to the next I start to have problems. I'm using homebrew mortar, wondering if that is less sticky than the commercial options?
Old 07-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Laborer

I think that might be your problem soaked your bricks to long. What I did was spray lightly where going to be putting the bricks. The brick that I was going to lay I put it in a bucket of water for just a few seconds. I also cut wood strips to help secure the brick until it had time to set up.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-622-sticks.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Laborer

Thanks very much for the tip - I think that I'll try that tomorrow. Today I found this thread (Holding those dome bricks in place) and tried that approach.

I used romex wire leftover from building our house, cut into sections and bent into a '7' shape. That worked well, and allowed me to get around the 7th course and close it in.

To give myself a head start for tomorrow I went ahead and set the first brick of course #8, and one piece of romex wasn't sufficient - I had to use two and even then it took a few tries. The first one definitely seems to be the trickiest, so I figure if I let that one set up overnight I'll at least have two surfaces for the next brick to hold onto.

Cheers!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Laborer

Banner day yesterday, completed rows eight and nine.

Scraps of pex tubing worked a treat, they held the bricks in place while I worked my way around. I dropped a few things inside the dome and it was a bit like playing 'Operation' trying to remove them without knocking anything loose.

I also set the first brick of row 10 to let it cure up. I'm pretty sure that will be my last full chain, and I'll build a plug out of a few bricks mortarted together and drop it in to top it off.

Cheers and thanks to all for your input and advice!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Laborer

Congratulations, it is pretty neat to see that plug go in very top. I am on my fourth curing fire. I am shooting for Wednesday to have my first pizza. I only have two very small cracks in my dome so far. Tomorrow Iíll be building a pretty good-sized fire for maybe a couple hours.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-705fire.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Laborer

Thanks! I hope to be there with you shortly...

Are you using the smallest / smaller / small / medium curing schedule from the plan? I'm on the fence about that, it seems a little unscientific to me. I've read a few suggestions on here that say to put a heat source inside the dome to get it close to 200F, and then measure the temp inside and on the outside of the dome. When they are equalized, safe to think that most of the moisture has been driven out, and that you're pretty well cured.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Laborer

I started out with a electric heater for a day, then a very small fire out of paper, A small wood fire, then a larger fire and so on. The outside of my dome today you could not leave your hand on it because of the heat. I think you might be right is probably as dry as It will get.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Laborer

Some pics from the last few courses... I got row 10 done last night, and as soon as the keystone was in and I started cleaning the whole mess slid down about an inch. I wasn't a huge fan of starting it over, but it went much faster with the bricks already cut.

Far from perfect masonry but I can definitely live with it.

I found that using one unmodified 1/3 brick alternated with a trapezoid brick worked pretty well for the rows starting at about #7. I shaped them either with a grinder or the saw with about equal results.

I'm going to fuse together two full bricks and cut them in the shape of the hole for my keystone and close it up in the next day or so.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-dsc06148.jpg   42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-dsc06153.jpg   42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-dsc06154.jpg   42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-dsc06155.jpg   42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-dsc06156.jpg  

Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Laborer

Looking good, you will be having pizza soon.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I like how your trapezoidal brick pieces work too. Makes for a tight closing, especially up at the top where it's so hard. What's your final dome height? It looks nice and flat at the top where it's ready for the keystone.
Nice job,
Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread