Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa

Thanks very much for the feedback. I checked with James and there wasn't much in the way of cost savings for the flat rate box.

I decided to start with the homebrew and see how things go. I have all the materials, just waiting for a day above 40F to start setting the bricks.

Until then my wife is perfecting her dough recipe and we are falling back to the pizza stone in the indoor oven...

Cheers!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Laborer

Finally back to this after a long cold winter and a slew of other projects. Worked yesterday and today and got the soldier course and the next two rows, as well as the inner arch done.

Here are some pics from the end of day one.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-dsc05958.jpg   42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-dsc05960.jpg   42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-dsc05961.jpg  
Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Laborer

And from the end of today. I set the outside edge of my inner arch even with the reveal for the door. I haven't really thought through how this will look in the next step. Hopefully the pictures will illustrate, let me know if that doesn't make any sense.

Any suggestions?

My thought is that can have the next arched row sit 1/2" higher than the inner arch, and that would be the door stop. I've yet to grok the size of the vent opening, my head hurts just from getting the arch done.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-dsc05964.jpg   42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-dsc05965.jpg   42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-dsc05966.jpg  
Old 06-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Apprentice

Looking good,

I have the same thoughts for my outer arch....I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine. The only adjustment will be for the chimney mounting plate

Peter
Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Serf

Michael-

I'm new here so I lurk, watch and learn most of the time. Honestly, a glass of Scotch and a good build thread with pictures is all the entertainment I need for the night.

In looking at the pictures of the round piece protecting the floor and supporting the Indispensable Tool, I don't see any seams. I just want to make sure you had an easy way to get that out once the dome was closed.

The arch looks good to me and I'm enjoying your thread. Please keep up the pictures questions.

Good Luck.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Laborer

Jon - Yes, that is a piece of cement board. It breaks easily when scored, but I do need to score it into sections before I get much more closed in. I'm sure it will be harder to get out than it seems.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:34 AM
Laborer

I apologize for the cross post (Major mistake or magic mortar?) but I wanted to provide some photographic evidence of my crimes.

These pictures will hopefully make more clear the tie-in situation and my feared inadequate fix. I've been looking at other options since yesterday, including as as been suggested flaring these bricks back toward the arch more and 'corbelilng' them on future rows. Also, I saw another thread where two full bricks were placed to span across the arch - I like the stability of that, but I don't know if the extra weight would be a bad thing.

The first picture shows the scant bearing surface, and the second a huge nasty glob of mortar I put in there. It actually has set up quite hard and feels sturdy.

I'm just trying to determine if I'm courting disaster by continuing in this approach. Tscarborough suggested that once I close in the dome it probably wouldn't be an issue - I can see the logic from an engineering standpoint considering the inherent properties of a dome, but I'm a little nervous about having that blob fall out upon my first real fire.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated...I knew the tie in would be a challenge but didn't expect it to turn out quite like this.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-aone.jpg   42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-andatwo.jpg  
Old 06-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Apprentice

My bricks running into the arch were very similar to yours except I cut little pyramids of brick and mortared them in where you have all the extra mortar. My theory was that the might help to hold up the brick above. If you look at the attached pic you will see that the handle of the rubber mallet is being used to hold the section of brick in place while the mortar hardens.

I was worried if these bits of brick would stay in place but 12 or so firings of my oven and they haven't moved yet. so I think what you have done will be fine.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa-44-inside-view-c5.jpg  

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Laborer

Paul - Thanks very much for the reply. I got a little antsy and tired of worrying about it today, so I decided to take some action.

The unfilled span was almost exactly the size of one full brick, which I took to be a sign - after all it couldn't just accidentally be that size, could it?

I angled the top of the arch to match the slope of the bottom of the brick, and put a very slight taper on the front of the brick so it laid snugly inbetween the bricks on either side.

I set the brick back about 1/2" from the inner dome wall (as defined by the other bricks) to give it more bearing surface. I think that between that extra surface area, the bricks wedged on either side, and the natural dome shape bearing down I will be ok. Even without mortar it felt soild.

Those changes will require a bit of adjustment on the next row to 'catch up' to the dome shape but at least I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night wondering how to work it out.

I'm going to let it dry for a few days before proceeding too much further.

Thanks again for the comment, and if my dome collapses I'll head to AUS and you can make me a pizza while I cry in my beer - I'll be happy to extend the same offer to you

I'll get a picture of the whole mess up soon...
Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaewa View Post
.. I'll head to AUS and you can make me a pizza while I cry in my beer...
I'm only too happy to make pizza these days as an excuse to fire up my oven.

Be reasured that the only thing that will be able to see the build inside above the arch when you have a fire going are the pizza. I have not yet heard any one of the pizzas that I have cooked complain about the quality of my brick work!

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)