Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 42" Pompeii at the Concrete Casa

Terry - Thanks very much for the advice, that is a great point considering integrity problems with the slab could lead to much heartache down the road. This is (thankfully) one area that I have had a little more practice in (vs. none for the masonry!) - I contributed a lot of sweat equity to our driveway and the concrete floors in our house.

I've built some concrete counter tops as well, and a great way to get all the voids out (provided as you mentioned a proper mix consistency) is to run around the edges of the form with a palm sander. The vibration is not enough to cause problems with the forms, but it does a fantastic job of liquefying the concrete just enough to get a great finish.

I'll probably also throw some fiber into the slab mix as well, I have had great results with slabs as thin as 1" being quite strong with a healthy dose of glass or poly fibers.

Cheers!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Master Builder

I love that palm sander idea. I happen to have one but haven't really had use for it for many years.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Mich and welcome...

I have a 42 inch pompei I built and including the arch, 5 course chimney and floor I used 210 bricks...

Good luck with your build, looking good so far

Mark
Old 11-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Laborer

Ok, it sounds like north of 200 is definitely where I need to be with firebricks. Thanks to all for your input.

I got the forms done and steel placed today, I decided to lay some plastic over the plywood as I invariably spend twice as long trying to pry the forms out as I do finishing the slab.

It appears that I will get lucky with concrete as well, my neighbor is pouring a sidewalk the day after tomorrow, and I'm going to tack on a yard to his order, which I think will be enough to fill all the cells and pour the slab. I was not looking forward to lugging all those bags of portland around.

Some additional standard photos:

Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
It appears that I will get lucky with concrete as well, my neighbor is pouring a sidewalk the day after tomorrow, and I'm going to tack on a yard to his order,
Now that is lucky,,, go out and buy some lottery tickets..

Nice so far,, looking good

Mark
Old 11-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Laborer

Slab: check. It was terribly anticlimactic, probably the first time I've been totally ready when the concrete truck pulled up. I helped my neighbor with his sidewalk, and had just enough to fill all the cells in the block wall and finish the top.

It was a great mix, 6.5 bag and I put a pound of glass fiber in it as well, whenever I am not cooking pizza that thing will double as a bomb shelter.

I feel like I cheated by not having the mixer and oodles of bags of concrete, but I am very glad it happened that way
Old 11-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Laborer

Quick materials question as I wait for my slab to cure...Insulfrax vs. Durablanket - are they comparable? Insulfrax seems to be at a much higher price point.

I've seen a lot of discussion on these but no definitive recommendations.

Thanks...
Old 11-13-2009, 03:49 PM

Durablanket is a new name to me. Seems legitimate. Unifrax urges you to contact a product engineer by phone to determine the best of several products for your application, I'd recommend this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Laborer

It was suggested as an alternative by someone I was trading emails with at Armil, I'm doing a little research now to see how it stacks up.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've been to their website before,, I get nervous when they dont post any kind of pricing as to me that means they will charge you what they think you will pay.... Im curious to hear how you make out

Good Luck
Mark