Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

I am making progress. The dome is round and level. The vertical joints are great where I paid attention, and gap at the bottom (inverted v) where I rushed. I built my arch first with a set angle on the back of each brick. Where the courses intersect the arch I am using the hand held grinder to shape the back of the arch to give the brick a place to purchase. I have not continued each brick from the course all the way to its lateral end - so there are some steps at the terminus of each course.

So here is the question: If I "fill the gaps" so to speak with the FB mortar will it hold? (up to 3/4 inch thick in some places) or would I be better off grinding the protruding ends of the brick down to the level of the arch?

Front view42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-closing-arch-dome-1.jpg
This is a view looking straight down at the arch42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-closing-arch-dome-2.jpg
Inside view - the inside of the arch form is painted (recycled)42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-closing-arch-dome-3.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-approaching-top-arch.jpg  

Last edited by dvm; 07-22-2012 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old 07-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

"Ran out" of bricks today. The 42 inch Pompei kit from FB includes 140 bricks, I bought an additional 20 bricks - (FB gave me 168 - to allow for loss). I split 11 to place under the standard 2 inch thick floor tiles. I ran low (6 full bricks remain - not enough for the next course) after completing the course at the top of the arch (5th course on tall soliders). In contrast to a shortage of bricks, I am just now reaching the bottom of the 2nd of three bags of mortar. - clearly the FB folks Expected construction from un-tapered half bricks with lots of mortar.

I went to the local supply yard and found medium duty firebricks for $1.45 per - I bought another 50. I will do an accounting of total bricks used at the end of the project for any who are interested. The new bricks weigh the same as the FB bricks but are much easier to cut (less Al?). I plan to keep the bricks segregated on the chance that one expands at a different rate than the other.
Attached Thumbnails
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-5th-course-1.jpg   42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-5th-course-2.jpg  

Last edited by dvm; 07-17-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Apprentice

6th course complete and arch form removed
Attached Thumbnails
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2012-07-10-07.37.13.jpg   42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2012-07-10-07.37.37.jpg  
Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Apprentice

Gravity is intense in the upper courses..... little sticks to the rescue!
Attached Thumbnails
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2012-07-16-07.23.06.jpg  

My road to pizza is documented here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dvm; 07-17-2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

DVM,

Rsponsed off my thread before I looked at your thread, you're almost there!! I'm doing the stick thing too but a couple course behind you. Build looking good.....
Old 07-21-2012, 02:54 AM
Apprentice

I finished this course and placed one in the next (last) before the capstone. In the day light I intend to finish the last course and plan the cap stone. 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-second-last-course.jpg

I will see If I can shape the opening for the cap stone to round using this: I will let you kn ow how is goes.
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2012-07-21-01.47.15.jpg

Once the dome is complete I am planning a Dino Pizza style chimney arch set off the dome 1/4 inch for a heat break. Moving on!

Last edited by dvm; 07-22-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:30 AM
Apprentice

FINALLY got the last course in place. This was a "place two, knock one out, replace - wedge with sticks, Return to clean - knock one off, replace" kind of day.

Every "brick" is a unique creation.

The remaining hole is too small a diameter for my abrasive pad for the drill. I am letting is cure over night before moving to the plug.

I removed the IT and floor covering tonight. Contemplating how to get in there for clean up / touch up. There might be too much of ME to fit. I may enlist the oldest son for this duty.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

DVM,

Knnoowww what you mean. Really slow for me too since no two bricks are the same now. My goal today is finish course 9 and set an anchor for the next course. Trying to be patience. Quit early yesterday cause my expectations of brick fit was starting to slip a new day today........
Old 07-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Apprentice

Drum Roll

The Dome is Closed! With the help of my two sons I got the dome closed Today
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-dome-closed-.jpg
When we broke ground in mid-May, then general plan was to be cooking pizza for my older son's Birthday at the end of July (we are expecting about 40 people).That is not going to happen - but we should get it fired up well before he returns to school in the Fall.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvm View Post
Drum Roll

The Dome is Closed! With the help of my two sons I got the dome closed Today
Attachment 30611
When we broke ground in mid-May, then general plan was to be cooking pizza for my older son's Birthday at the end of July (we are expecting about 40 people).That is not going to happen - but we should get it fired up well before he returns to school in the Fall.
Know how that goes, I thought July 4th party......Well I never stated which year

Tags
19 dome, 42 pompeii, fireplace