Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Laborer

Default Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianventura View Post
dvm,
I built my oven with the soldier course and used the plywood method. It worked well for me but I did not fix the board to the floor, all I did is mark the floor center and had the center mark on the edge of the board and went around setting the brick. That way I was able to take it in and out easier initially. For the last chains I made a form were I set the chains on top of.

Attached you can see the board inside the oven (the only photo I have of the board). Also the form I made for the last chains.

Brian
Now that's a great way. I was trying to decide which way to go.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

OK for 2 inch FB insulation is down. The splits are in place, and I am placing the 2" thick, 18 x 18 FB floor tiles. To make the cooking surface level I am working with a mixture of "saw pan trimmings", sand and water. No way Can I spread any consistency of this combination with a notched trowel. So instead I roll it by hand on the splits until I have very fine, 2 - mm balls of fire clay and sand mixture (the moisture is quickly drawn away by the bricks) distributed. After some scootching and tapping with a rubber mallet, the result is level cooking tiles over a layer of splits with a inconsistent distribution of fire clay and sand in between with (no doubt) some pockets of air.

So the question is... is this good enough? or with the incomplete bond between the floor tiles and the splits render the extra mass under the floor tiles ineffective? Any thoughts?

dvm
Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Apprentice

Today's Lesson Learned. If you plan to place splits under 18 inch square tiles you MUST level the splits before putting down the larger tiles (sure seems obvious when you say it out loud). Spent today (after church) picking up then re-setting the floor with three thermo-couples (below insulation, above insulation, drilled into back of 18 inch tile (1/2 inch below cooking surface) and FINALLY got started with Mortar! First third of Soldiers are in place!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Way to go, building a oven is an addictive project. BTW, what are using for a readout on your TCs. I did not run power to my build and going to use a portable TC thermometer but have not bought it yet, only the TCs.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Apprentice

An inexpensive option is here Craftsman -Multimeter
A really cool (expensive) option is here Thermocouple Data Logger with USB Interface
My older son is building an electronic capture station (using parallax hardware and writing his own code) meant to capture data from 9 probes, time stamp the data, and transfer to a computer via a usb device.... we shall see. If it works out I will post the specs.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Apprentice

I got off work a bit early today.... and rushed home to wok on the WFO (of course)! Finished the soldier course. It finally feels like I have moved from I am going to build a WFO to I am Actually building a WFO!
Lesson learned today: My oven will not be perfect.
Now that that is out of the way I plan to enjoy myself for the rest of the build and revel in the "character" of my one-of-a-kind creation.

dvm
Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

dvm,

Thanks for the info on the multimeter. Will check it out. I know my oven is not perfect either, it is consuming to try and build the best you can. Someone said on this forum, that the flaws on their build faded away as time went on. Build is lookin good.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Apprentice

So I had some fun with my angelizer - bought the thingy at HD and downloaded the software (no purchase necessary) off the internet. Calculations and drawing on the blocks was easy.... cutting the blocks not so easy (flipping and making multiple passes due to the depth of brick and size of blade). Ready for mortar.
Attached Thumbnails
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-oven-arch-dry-fit.jpg  
Old 06-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

dvm,

wow do you move along, looks like the anglizer software did the trick. Yeah,takes lots of passes on saw plus the grinder. You considering using a taper inner arch? If so, check out Karanga Dude's or GianniFoccacia's build. Really helps with tie-in in the arch to the course but now is the time to decide before you mortar. It will work on the arch portion of the inner arch. I think there is an example in GianniF's thread. Looks good...........

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
dvm,

You considering using a taper inner arch? If so, check out Karanga Dude's or GianniFoccacia's build. Really helps with tie-in in the arch to the course but now is the time to decide before you mortar. It will work on the arch portion of the inner arch. I think there is an example in GianniF's thread.
I have angled the "Back" of the "Top" of each arch block to give a better surface to tie in the courses. I thought a long time as to what that angle should be exactly (given that I am committed to a less than spherical dome) ... then I decided that in the end it will require a custom cut / grind for each tie-in block. So I simple picked one angle (that would be the scrap created when I cut the blocks for the vertical sides) and I went for it. The size / shape allows two arch bricks from each block. We shall see how it works out.

dvm
Attached Thumbnails
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-oven-arch-block-close.jpg   42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-oven-arch-block-profile.jpg  

Tags
19 dome, 42 pompeii, fireplace