Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

It is looking great DVM,
Quote:
Origonal post by DVM "Slurry coat should not be use to fill large defects"
I noticed that also, on my trial runs. I guess that I will have to spot fill the larger voids with some fine sand added to the slurry, before the slurry coat. I hope the day before or at least in the morning before the slurry coat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

I finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel with this project. I got the the last bit of polishing done and lithium sealant applied on the poured in place landing, hearth and seating. Once it is good and dry, I will polish the sealant and get some photos in the sun. I am very pleased with the outcome.
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2013-03-03-14.20.01.jpg42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2013-03-03-14.20.17.jpg42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2013-03-03-14.20.42.jpg
I am anxious to see how it holds up. The key to polishing the vertical surfaces was keeping the motor dry.
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2013-03-03-14.28.20.jpg
Next are the decorative arches for the oven and fireplace. I am planning a keystone to match the counter / hearth for each. My wife and I finished casting 100 sq feet of faux limestone in colors complimentary to our existing pavers for the final step.

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 03-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks Great, being in Cali, you should not have the same issues I have had with extreme freezing.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking good dvm!

I recommend Howard's Butcher Block sealer for the counters. Gives them a really good luster and water resistance. They sell it at HD for $9 a bottle, so it's cheaper than sealer too!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Apprentice

Several Lessons learned since my last post
1) The Lithium sealer penetrated nicely and gave a satin finish as advertised. It was a bit bumpy and in few locations. Where I applied a "second coat" during initial application it did not penetrate at all and just sat on top - yuck. Soo I endeavored to Polish the lithium sealer with the recommended floor buffing pads
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2013-03-27-07.23.21.jpg
2) The red did not remove any material and the black scratched the surface. Boo
So I then "polished" the Lithium sealer product with a 1600 grit granite polishing disk - it took down the high spots and left the surface (particularly the glass) cloudy when dry. What was frustrating was how amazing the colors were when wet, and then it went all dull when dry. I took photos but they didn't show the problem well.
So I next re-polished the surfaces with the granite disks 800, 1200, and 1600 - this removed the micro scratches in the glass and the looked great until they dried then some color was again lost.
So I then applied this wax - 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2013-03-27-07.20.03.jpg
3) This wax worked great. This is the same product I used in my kitchen a few years ago when I installed granite counters (DIYGranite.com). I applied it like car wax then removed the excess and buffed with #0000 steel wool. I used the velcro backer disk from my polishing disks in the angle grinder on low speed.
I am satisfied with the result: from 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-20130202_093154.jpg
To 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2013-03-27-07.21.21.jpg 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-2013-03-27-07.21.09.jpg

Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wax > sealer is my experience too. But it does cloud up with weather and UV exposure after a few weeks.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Apprentice

I will interested to hear how butcher block sealer holds up - I like the price! I will report on the life of the wax.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Master Builder

Looks very nice good job
Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Apprentice

Your countertop and bench are absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!

I am going to go for a more "agricultural" look, but everytime I see what you have done (and others), I think "maybe a little exposed aggregate would be good". I'll probably add something to the mix but I don't think I will attempt the myriad of textures and colors that you have. Mmm! Mmm!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Apprentice

thanks for the kind words. I am finally satisfied with the outcome after a few fits and starts. So at this point it's a watch and see on durability.

Tags
19 dome, 42 pompeii, fireplace