Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

Gulf
It will be a cinder block chimney. I plan to line the fire box with firebrick splits. The goal is ambiance.

My road to pizza is documented here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

Well, maybe no roaring, flames shooting out of the chimney, nuke type fires. You can't heat the whole outdoors anyway . But, you should be able to keep a nice fire going for intertaining. A piece of fruit wood added to the fire will also add to the ambiance .

That is going to be one beautiful area!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking good DVM

I have to say, the California CMU makers must love your project!

Old 10-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Apprentice

DJ
You have that right - every time I turn around I am buying more block. Almost done with primary construction and will be turning to finishes next. We don't really have weather here so no good excuse to take a break from the project - I will press on.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Apprentice

Progress42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-20121016_173343.jpg

Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Apprentice

So here is a question as I plan to place a decorative arch on the oven. Is there any concern with using my small stash of remaining f/b refractory mortar to attach my decorative arch directly to the front of the bricks of the outer arch and the adjacent Hardiboard?. I think the lower portion of the decorative arch will be my home made "stone veneer" (made from s-type mortal with colorant poured into forms), the upper part of the arch will be left over pavers that match my patio.

I have a heat break between the inner arch and the dome. I do not have a heat break in the floor. I am not concerned about "loosing heat" to the decorative arch, rather I am wondering if differential expansion of the varied materials with cause them to crack, delaminate etc.

I cut Hardboard slightly larger than the Outer arch (which is "almost" flush with the outer arch). I filled the gap with 500 degree silicon (so the vermiculite does not fly away). I initially thought I would have another gap between the outer and decorative arch, but I am now concerned that I need the extra strength of attachment to the outer arch.

Thoughts?42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-oven-front.jpg

Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

dvm -
I attached my decorative arch just as you describe - mortared it to the firebrick and the hardiboard. As a matter of fact, I didn't even use refractory mortar. I haven't used the oven much since installing - but it seems fine. The arch doesnt really get very hot so I don't think cracking will be any more of an issue than it would be in an ordinary fireplace surround. I think many others have used the same approach without issues.
42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.-wp_000135.jpg

Old 10-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Apprentice

Sometimes simple is best... I like it.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Hi DVM,
Thanks for the photos! We hope your oven project goes well.

We're excited to see your progress!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Serf

Brian, I used a similar form for the last chains but only an IT for the initial ones. I found that the dome is pretty forgiving and once all the chains are finished, I could stand on the dome and it would not fall in. Guess thats the beauty of this design. I used white styrofoam for the final form - easy to remove.

Tags
19 dome, 42 pompeii, fireplace