Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Serf

Default Re: 42" Corner Unit - Phoenix

dtrbovich

I am wanting to do something similar like your foundation and would be interested in what your measurments where. I have an octagon shaped wall around the area I want to put my 42 inch oven.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Laborer

Starting to get the hang of laying the brick and about to start on the arches
Attached Thumbnails
42" Corner Unit - Phoenix-oven-1.jpg   42" Corner Unit - Phoenix-oven-2.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Laborer

mbabcock,

This drawing should help you. Keep in mind that I made my foundation 2" larger (on each side) and that I also eliminated the pizza landing area (to reduce the overall size). Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
42" Corner Unit - Phoenix-pizza-oven.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Laborer

mbabcock,

I just realized that the drawing that I just posted does not show the design modifications that are shown in the pictures. So.....I have attached a revised foundation plan and another drawing which shows the dimensions of my enclosure (done on Goggle Sketch-up). I have attached the enclosure drawing because this shape (for even the foundation) might make sense for you based off of your original post. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rev Oven Plan.pdf (724.8 KB, 405 views)
File Type: pdf Foundation.pdf (37.0 KB, 334 views)
jdjr likes this.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Serf

Thanks

I noticed alot of great foundation designs other than the typical square. I like how yours will allow side additions. I built a brick/stucco wall around a large area of my patio a few years ago and formed an octagon shape which is where I was going to put a firepit. Change of plans after finding this website

Now I am limited on foundation size in order to properly fit into this shape without looking bad. I have only started drawing up sketchs and still need to figure out whether to tie the floor foundation into the wall with rebar or just keep it seperate and run expansion joint against inside wall.

I counted your blocks and came up with an estimated size, but could not see how far your stand was inset from the edge.

Much Appreciated.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...stove-area.jpg

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...9-pb260012.jpg

Last edited by mbabcock; 12-01-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Apprentice

It should be a fairly easy task to reach pizza cooking temp in AZ. In the summer you are only slightly cooler than the face of the sun ; )

Enjoy your building jounrney.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Serf

AZPizzaNut,
I'm still working on laying my padio for an outdoor kitchen in S. Chandler, I saw you mentioned someone in Litchfield who has firebrick, do you happen to still have a contact for him? I found fire brick at the Ocotillo HD, but the Chandler store doesn't stock it, seems pretty hit or miss. They were 1.22/brick.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Journeyman

Hi Rob,

The firebrick at the Ocotillo HD is half the price of the same thing at Phoenix Brickyard or Marvel/Border. I'd consider it at $1.22.

The fellow in Litchfield has a Craigslist ad. Search for "brick" (in Phoenix) and scroll to Dec. 4th. He has a photo. Bricks are scattered all over his lot but the lower right pic shows a sample stack. I went through those he had in another location and picked out some with at least one clean face and sharp corners. It is used, light colored brick, made in LA, and stamped LAPBco.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 12-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Journeyman

Marvel is charging $1.60+ for yellow brick as of a couple weeks ago - they are proud. When cutting a HD brick, I noticed it made a finer mud than the yellow bricks I purchased for the floor.

Marvel is the closest place for fireclay at about $15/bag.

Rob, if you would like, I have a bucket of firebrick mud - mostly solids available. I used the water in the bucket (from the tray rinsing) for making my homebrew. I live in SE Gilbert, so not too far away.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Laborer

Talking Re: 42" Corner Unit - Phoenix

After a 6-week break, I have started working on the oven again. I battled the front arch a little but I am pleased to say that I am not only done with the arch but also the transition over the arch. Here are my most recent pics.
Attached Thumbnails
42" Corner Unit - Phoenix-img00104.jpg   42" Corner Unit - Phoenix-img00105.jpg   42" Corner Unit - Phoenix-img00106.jpg   42" Corner Unit - Phoenix-img00107.jpg