Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Laborer

Default Re: 42" Corner Unit - Phoenix

Azpizzanut,

I appreciate the help and the tips. You have been a huge help. I just poured my hearth last night (I will post a picture tonight after the side forms are stripped) and I am getting ready for the insulating layer (which should be interesting).

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Target tile saw a few years back and so I am lucky to be able to justify its purchase once again. Now…if only I had purchased a concrete mixer. It would defiantly be paid off by now

If you have a second….I have a couple of questions for you (or anyone who might know the answers):
1. Where are you getting your brick? I know that Marvel caries “refractory brick” but I also know that Home Depot caries “fire brick” (which are a little cheaper). And so at this point, I am trying to figure out if the Home Depot bricks will work. I like the color of the other but I am not sure that it is worth the extra expense. Plus…it is pretty darn nice to just drive 3 miles to pick up a couple extra brick whenever I need them.
2. Where are you getting your Fire Clay?
3. What method are you going to use to set your dome?

Thanks and take care!

Dtrbovich
Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Journeyman

Hello Dtrbovich,

Home Depot carries fire brick?????? I searched several locally and none carried any. There is a fellow out in Litchfield who has used fire brick for .25 cents each. (I am fairly certain they came from the old Reynolds Aluminum plant in Phoenix) I picked up 125 from him after going through about 250 to get those with nice clean faces. He has tons of them as well as other brick, and scattered all over his property.

Fire clay is available at Border/Marvel Builders Supply. Several valley locations.

My 36" Pompeii will have flat half bricks laying on the hearth with no mortar. The next ring will have mortar.

Something to consider about fire bricks. They are NOT all the same. They are different sizes by as much as 3/16" between manufacturers and some are heavier than others. Keep that in mind if you combine bricks. Also, some manufacturers bricks are pressed into a mould and seem fairly uniform with straight sides and top. Other firebricks are extruded from a machine and cut with a wire or other device and have uneven sides. You'll get frustrated trying to level them and align joints. These extruded bricks are ok for the dome but are the least desirable for the hearth. Muddox brand are very heavy but extruded. Remember, we're talking about suitability for a wood fired oven hearth. They're fine for other aspects of the build. They are a little thicker than the red fire brick I made my hearth from.

Finally, there are fire bricks with a rough surface. It looks like sand or clay grit was caught on the cutting wire and made tracks across the face of the brick leaving the grain of grit at the "front" groove. It looks as though it were a comet. Again, not suitable for a hearth since the grits can come off if you catch them with a peel.

I got several hundred red moulded fire bricks from Phoenix Brick yard at 7th Avenue & I-10. They are not cheap at $2.25 each.

Harbor Freight may still have their 3 bag mixers on sale for something just over $200 if you use the 20% off coupon.

What part of Arizona do you live in?

Cheers,
Old 11-13-2010, 06:11 AM
Laborer

Azpizzanut,

Once again...you have been a huge help. I ended up going round and round on my bricks but ultimately ended up going with Home Depot. At $1.16/ea the deal was just way too good to pass up. When I compared them to the ones at Marvel, they seemed to be very similar and so I am thinking that they should work just fine. But I guess I will find that out in a month or so

I am actually in Gilbert or more specifically the very SE edge of Gilbert. How is the oven construction going with you? Are you using a form or the indispensable tool? I am personally leaning toward the tool myself but I am currently undecided.

Dave
Old 11-13-2010, 06:19 AM
Laborer

Allright......all forms have been removed (especially the ones holding up the structural support slab) and I am ready to start bricking!!!! Thank god my wife isn't judging me on the mess I am making!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Corner Unit - Phoenix-oven.jpg  
Old 11-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Journeyman

Hi Dave,

The indispensable tool is easy enough to make and it can be passed along to a new builder when I'm finished. I'll make it during the week and get some bricks down right after. There are a hundred bricks cut and waiting and a fresh bag of HeatStop 50 begging to be opened. LOL

Cheers,

Bob
Old 11-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Journeyman

Hey Dave,

Glad to hear about the oven. Now there will be 2 in SE Gilbert!

As for the bricks - I bought my floor bricks from marvel and found they had bellies on them which left gaps. I was planning on edging them, then came to my senses - I could spend way too much time doing that!

My dome brick came from an old powerhouse where I work - got it for free. Just having to chip old mud off the bricks which is pretty easy after a quick dunk. The bricks are almost 100 years old, so some history in them!

I am using the mud recipe posted on line - have a line on good refractory mud which I am planning for the dome. I really like the way it sets up and is pretty darn sticky.

I will probably not complete the oven befor Thanksgiving as previously planned - such is life.

Just got to watch the overnight temps as they are dropping fast and the cement does not properly cure below 40. Backup plan is for a mini-tent and a halogen light to keep it warm over night.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Laborer

- I just started laying brick and have mortared the soldier row. Here is a pic of the dry fitting. I am using the "Home Brew" mix, a home depot bucket, and a grout mixing paddle that I have used on a half dozen other projects (for anyone who doesn't have one of these paddles.....I would highly recommend getting one as they save sooooo much time and energy).

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
42" Corner Unit - Phoenix-oven.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Laborer

AZPizzanut.....how is the build coming along? Are you tapering the sides of the brick? I am about 90% sure that I will be.

C5dad....thanks for the warning with the temperature. I will defiantly pay closer attention to this. Btw, between you and azpizzanut you guys are killing me with the cheep/free fire bricks. My wife was less than thrilled with the $400 that I dropped on the fire brick from Home Depot the other day.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Journeyman

Hi Dave,

I'm taking a little time off from building the Pompeii, so covered the hearth with a tarp. I need to concentrate on another project that is nearly finished. I'll be back to it soon though.

I'll taper the top of the bricks to start the angle of the dome but not the sides, then continue with simple half bricks. In the end, there seems no difference in performance.

Your HD bricks look like some I bought from Marvel Supply. They will be incorporated into the dome with others of different colors. I used smooth sided red bricks for the hearth.

Here is a tip I learned about removing uneven edges of hearth bricks so the peel doesn't catch. I used a carbide grit coated attachment for my multi-tool to abrade the edges in only a few seconds on each offending brick. (Harbor Freight sells a "Multi-Tool" that takes a variety of carbide grit coated attachments). A belt sander will work too but the multi-tool allowed me to concentrate on just those few bricks that needed work. I finished up the smoothing with a diamond coated flat hone, that I just happened to have on hand, from a knife building project. It made the smoothing go faster but wasn't really necessary. A piece of coarse sanding belt would have done as well.

I have a Photo Bucket account now so will post photos soon.

Cheers,
Old 11-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Laborer

The next morning
Attached Thumbnails
42" Corner Unit - Phoenix-oven2.jpg   42" Corner Unit - Phoenix-oven3.jpg