Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" build in Virginia

An update. I started a low fire about noon for about 1 hour. Let it rest for about an hour and refired again. Same thing, long and slow for another hour.
By about five I was ready to go to a higher temp, did not notice any major steam coming off. Cooked pizzas at 6:30. No cracks or issues in the dome.

I think most of the moisture staining depicted in the earlier photos was superficial. I was a little concerned because there was some moisture inside the oven on the back wall. That must have been from condensation on the inside of the dome, but not a 'soaking' of moisture.

I'm wondering if keeping the door tightly sealed is a good idea on the oven? Virginia is very humid and with the rain, maybe I should leave the door off? I don't have an insulated door yet, just a cover. Any thoughts?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If it was me, I wouldn't worry about the door until I got the stucco leaks fixed. I'd put a tarp over the whole thing until I was certain it waterproof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Master Builder

Leave the door on.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Master Builder

Yup... leave the door on. It's just as rainy on this side of Virginia. I have a cover over my oven area... that helps a lot especially for those pop up showers we get and keeps the oven dry.

Headed to Gloucester VA next weekend, I'll wave when I drive by.

Faith
Old 06-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Apprentice

Faith, have you decided on a final coat for the dome?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Master Builder

Faith,

Did you get that big mixer you were eyeing? So, you're gearing up for some serious baking?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Apprentice

Anyone with a good pizza dough recipe? I have tried several that have been posted but none have had that nice air bubble crispy chewey feel so far.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabby View Post
Faith, have you decided on a final coat for the dome?
Yes, my oven is not in it's final location yet. I know I will be building an enclosure using steel studs. Then that will get a veneer of what ever matches it's location.

Yes ,I have three mixers now, 30 qt Univex, 20 quart Univex and the KA. I'm done with mixers for a while else I need to buy a new house to put it in.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Apprentice

Fabby, nice looking oven. Can't wait to start my dome, but it'll have to wait until I get back from vacation toward the end of the month.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Master Builder

Fabby - I have tried a couple of recipes but have settled with the 'Pizza Dough by Weight' recipe posted on the sticky by James. It has produced a puffy outer rim and firm base. I expect that different methods of handling the dough creates different results and I have settled for the method in the YouTube video How To Hand Slap Pizza Crust - YouTube and that gets good results for me.

That is my limited experience but that's what works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
42" build in Virginia-pizza-6-7-13-3-.jpg  

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics