Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" build in Virginia

Fabby,
These are the good times!. I am sure that they will be followed by many, even greater times. I love to see folks having fun with their ovens. Especially, during the curing .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Serf

Looks great Can't wait to start mine!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Way to go Fabby, something about a fire that makes everything taste good. Kudos.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Apprentice

Need some help. I got my blankets and chicken wire on the dome this weekend. In between pouring rain, I was able to get my scratch coat on. A mix of 3:1 sand to S mortar mix. I still have some lumps around due to the chicken wire. It has been 24 hours. Should I fill those in knowing that the thickness will increase to 1" in these low spots? Should I use the same mix ratio or should I do something different? Should I let things set up some before adding any stucco?

Thanks for all the encouragement.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabby View Post
Need some help. I got my blankets and chicken wire on the dome this weekend. In between pouring rain, I was able to get my scratch coat on. A mix of 3:1 sand to S mortar mix. I still have some lumps around due to the chicken wire. It has been 24 hours. Should I fill those in knowing that the thickness will increase to 1" in these low spots? Should I use the same mix ratio or should I do something different? Should I let things set up some before adding any stucco?

Thanks for all the encouragement.
You can apply another coat as soon as the first coat has gone off, ie, next day.
Thickness isnt a real concern with portland cement based stuff.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Apprentice

Well I am moving along. I have some boys home from college to help. They helped dig for a french drain around the oven as water was backing up on my slab.
We have had a lot of rain and I didn't want my slab washing out.
42" build in Virginia-insulation-blankets.jpg,42" build in Virginia-beast-keeps-away-pizza-stealers.jpg,42" build in Virginia-french-drain.jpg

I havent seen my black snake buddy lately. He was forever hangin' out at my rock pile, but he seems to have slithered away, now that I stole most of his rocks to decorate my pizza stand
42" build in Virginia-black-snake-helping-me-pick-out
Old 05-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Laborer

looks great.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 AM
Master Builder

Fabby, looking good.
So no chance of cooked snake then

Old 05-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Apprentice

OK, its Memorial day,, my deadline for making this contraption work.

No pressure, I invited all the important people. My father-in-law, brother-in-law, siblings and children. OH, can't forget the wife.

So what, let's have a party.

42" build in Virginia-lets-fire-b......tch-up.jpg
Old 05-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Apprentice

Some pics of my oven at this stage. I don't have the countertops done, but I do have some hungry people.

42" build in Virginia-final-no-countertops.jpg;42" build in Virginia-smoking-get-tem.jpg;42" build in Virginia-right-side-firing.jpg

that Italianate scroll I hung up for decoration is nice. I found it at a salvage yard 25 years ago, thinking that it was kinda cool and that I would use it for something.

well, I hauled that thing around for all those years an finally found a spot for it
I'M NOT A HOARDER! so just stop that crazy thinking right now.
mirassou likes this.