Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 04:36 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" build in Virginia

OK, Al, Yeah I googled "blue tac".........you were being funny weren't you

But then when I googled "sh1t to a blanket", apparently in some cultures they do use that for adhesion?

Oh, it's just pooh.

I probably wont try that, I say 'probably' because I will not totally rule it out at this point. Damn stones better start sticking better or I'll try anything.

(I can hear it now from the kids, "Dad, why does the pizza smell funny?")
Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Peasant

fabby,
If you did'nt already have some of your stone set I would suggest expanded metal lath tapcon screwed to the block first. Since you're into it if you want to really stick the stone use a 600PSI construction adhesive available in quart caulking cartridges. You'll need to brace the heavier stones until set unless they are resting on another stone. When all your stones are set come back and grout between them.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fabby,

Go to Gulf's Picassa album and look at pic 250-260ish to get an idea on his chimney top. Might give you an idea.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Thanks Les. Your chimney top looks great. The space between the flue liner and the top bricks has a layer of high heat mortor to seal that top? Will that crack? Or is there some other glue I cannot see?
That's what I used and no problems

Quote:
Also, I have some leftover paver bricks, can I use that on the top course rather than the bricks with holes, or do I need to get some regular solid bricks?
You could probably use them - most likely not a good match, I would bite the bullet and buy a few solids.

Quote:
I also have some leftover gray pavers I could use as well. Will they bond with mortar?
Mortar sticks to pavers incredibly well.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 05-05-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the tips. Heading out to fill the chimney with vcrete and then close it up. I hope to start the curing process next week. My dome has been done for three weeks. I thought I would give the chimney a week to cure as well before the fires start.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabby View Post
OK, Al, Yeah I googled "blue tac".........you were being funny weren't you

But then when I googled "sh1t to a blanket", apparently in some cultures they do use that for adhesion?

Oh, it's just pooh.

I probably wont try that, I say 'probably' because I will not totally rule it out at this point. Damn stones better start sticking better or I'll try anything.

(I can hear it now from the kids, "Dad, why does the pizza smell funny?")
Ok all jokes aside, how is your sand, is it fatty?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 AM
Apprentice

i put up another course of stone yesterday as well as insulated the chimney and cut the caps. Will need to mortar them if it doesn't rain today.

The sand I am using is from a local outdoor products supplier, it has more clay adn clumpiness than the earlier bags I bought at Lowe's for masonry, and I have been adding an acrylic fortifier to the mix as well. This works OK but the rocks still tend to slide. I have been using some chips of stone to brace against the lower stone, and even in some cases, letting the stones touch a little bit. I will get some pics on here soon.

do I need to have the chimney top mortared for a week before I can start curing?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Ok all jokes aside, how is your sand, is it fatty?
Brickie, didn't know you had your own sand.

Brickie’s sand
As the name implies this is the preferred sand of bricklayers. It has a clay component, up to 30 per cent by weight, that makes it sticky. When blended with cement and lime to make mortar, the resulting mix is termed ‘fatty’, which means it is easy to work when laying bricks, as it is compressible and oozes out of the joints.
Description: Brickie’s sand has a slightly sticky look and feel when damp and forms lumps when dry. It can leave colour on hands or clothes due to its clay content.
Uses: A major component of brick- and block-laying mortar and bagging for walls. It’s available in yellow and white to allow for different mortar colours.
Other names: Fatty sand, brick sand, brickie’s loam.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Apprentice

Latest update. I spent the weekend with curing fires while I was finishing up some rock veneer.

I still need to do some tuck pointing but it was nice to get the fires going. On the third day, I had the oven up to about 400 F, but it was a long slow burn rather than a rapid temp increase.

My question, is it better at this stage to have longer more even fires or continue to hit the temp and let it cool. My dome is looking good, no cracks to note of, and the top 2/3's is looking 'whiter' in regards to the mortar. Is that what happens when the oven cures?

I hope to get some photos up tonight.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Apprentice

finally some progress pics.
Started the curing with small fires. By the fourth fire. The wife wanted to try some bread. I said "what the hay, throw it in there and see what happens."

pretty cool.
42" build in Virginia-first-fire.jpg;42" build in Virginia-first-fire-smoke.jpg;42" build in Virginia-fourth-fire-wife-wants-bake-bread.jpg

oh yeah.....

42" build in Virginia-four-months-work-loaf-bread.jpg
Gulf likes this.