Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" build in Virginia

It rained yesterday, so I didn't get anything done.......but today?

Started at the crack of dawn (probably shouldn't use that word "crack" in this forum ). Trying to get my chimney laid out. Finally got things level and ready to go. I set the fill wedges and finished filling in the gaps in the dome.

Still trying to decide on a final finish. The wife wants a dome, but I think an enclosure would be easier to maintain long term.

Some new pics.

42" build in Virginia-chimney-try-.jpg 42" build in Virginia-done-patching-dome.jpg 42" build in Virginia-front-chimney.jpg
Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Apprentice

It's looking good, you're not far now from that first pizza! It's a real thrill making that first pizza after all that work.
I went with an enclosure because I didn't want any chance of water getting into the oven.

Take care,
Brian
Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Apprentice

Should I put on my insulation blankets before I cure the oven? And if I decide to form an igloo with stucco, should I wait to cure until that is completed?

I hope to post some new pics here shortly.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

What they say, if momma not happy not body is happy, see a dome shape in the future. Chimney has a nice shape to it. I cured without insulation.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Master Builder

Looking good. Be sure to buttress that arch before you put any heat to that oven. The expansion of the arch brick will give you an undesired issue.

Faith
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I have since added a decorative arch and left a two inch space on the sides of the entrance, that I filled with a 5:1 vermiculite mixture. I am hoping that this sets up strong enough to buttress the archs and insulate the entry.

I know I need to get a pic in here for you to see.
Does vermiculite ever set up, after one day, it still seems to be crumbly.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Master Builder

Here

It takes a while (at least a week) for the vermiculite to get hard.

The picture above is what I did to buttress my arch. I have plans for the dress up once I get it moved to it's permanent location. I did the vermiculite and the buttressing all at the same time. I will also incorporate the square concrete into the oven cover.

Forgot to say before...It won't hurt to give some curing fires before you put on the insulation.

Faith

Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 04-29-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Apprentice

Here are some photos of where I am at, having completed the decorative arch and filled the sides with v crete to help support/buttress the vent archs.

42" build in Virginia-decorative-arch.jpg

Here are some side views to orient things better

42" build in Virginia-inner-outer-arch-view.jpg42" build in Virginia-suggestions-needed-finish.jpg

As you can see, I am stumped on how to build the chimney.

Do I start on the inner vent wall and go up, or continue up on the outside decorative wall? (Wont that look too big and wide?)

I also had a thought of getting the next larger flue size, inserting that over the flue I already have, and just fill the space between the two with vcrete as an insulator. Any thoughts?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabby View Post
continue up on the outside decorative wall? (Wont that look too big and wide?)
Stay on the outside brickwork, you could step each course in if you feel it will be too big.
Step each side in but leave the front and back flush, as you step in go until you just cover the hole in the brick (measure each side to make them look the same).
Step it in until you think its right and then go flush for the rest of the chimney, dont forget to make sure it works full bricks before going flush upwards as cuts in the middle of a chimney look ugly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Serf

looking good