Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" build in Virginia

1"-2" air space. Just butter the end of each flue and lay one on top of the other...no need to insulate here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Peasant

Nice build Fab!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Apprentice

Capt, thanks for the encouragement. I have been working all day, (missing the final round of the Masters.......arrrgh!), and I literally was totally wiped. I mean, I "hit the wall"

But then, I closed up shop (its 4:00 pm here), cracked a beer, turned on the tele, fired up the computer.......and lo and behold, there was Capt to give encouragement. After a day where the "dome" kicked my ass, I needed that!:

I spent the day trying to get my arch done and the my daughter helped filling in the gaps on the dome.
42" build in Virginia-filling-outside-dome.jpg42" build in Virginia-front-arch-sides-mortared-.jpg

YaKnow, Dijourna pizza probably would have fooled most people. I could have just had a 'picture' of a pizza oven in the back yard and snuck in some frozen stuff. Sure would have been a lot easier.
Capt likes this.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Master Builder

Looking good Fabby. I am at a similar stage of my build. It is good to close the dome and recharge. I think it would be less satisfying if the process was simple and all issues resolved. Sorting out how to make it happen with what you can source or have on hand is half of the challenge.

The beer earned after a big day working on the oven is some of the best beer I have enjoyed.

Cheers ............ Steve
Old 04-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabby View Post
Capt, thanks for the encouragement. I have been working all day, (missing the final round of the Masters.......arrrgh!), and I literally was totally wiped. I mean, I "hit the wall"

But then, I closed up shop (its 4:00 pm here), cracked a beer, turned on the tele, fired up the computer.......and lo and behold, there was Capt to give encouragement. After a day where the "dome" kicked my ass, I needed that!:

I spent the day trying to get my arch done and the my daughter helped filling in the gaps on the dome.
Attachment 34891Attachment 34892

YaKnow, Dijourna pizza probably would have fooled most people. I could have just had a 'picture' of a pizza oven in the back yard and snuck in some frozen stuff. Sure would have been a lot easier.

Everytime your ready to quit for the day, just think how good those pies are gonna taste, and the aroma that will float through the neighborhood.......lol
Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Apprentice

Well, I snuck out of work early today, and was able to set up and mortar my outside arch. I did not clean the bricks up too much as I am planning on another decorative arch.

42" build in Virginia-lay-out-outside-arch.jpg[ATTACH]42" build in Virginia-outside-arch-mortared.jpg[/ATTACH]

I still havent decided on what to use for an decorative arch. I do have some red bricks laying around, they dont match the brown bricks of my house tho.

I also have some thin stone leftover as well. There are so many great photos in the albums here, pretty fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
42" build in Virginia-inside-outer-arch.jpg  
Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool Re: 42" build in Virginia

Gudday
ANOTHER arch .......you not going to stop now you have started!
Congrats

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Flabby....., sorry couldnt help it.

Youll have to sort out some way to secure the half bricks that the arch is springing from, if not and one moves itll all come down.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Apprentice

Brickie, I know I need to support the archs more. I would appreciate some help.

I was thinking of wrapping the sides with a layer of decorative brick, and then leaving a gap between the firebrick and decorative wall and filling this with concrete. This would secure the half bricks to the decorative arch. Does that sound OK?

Or how would you insulate the vent on the sides? Should I leave a two inch space and fill with vermiculite and concrete mix? Is that strong enough?
thanks for your help.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I was thinking of wrapping the sides with a layer of decorative brick, and then leaving a gap between the firebrick and decorative wall and filling this with concrete. This would secure the half bricks to the decorative arch. Does that sound OK?
That would secure it for sure.

Quote:
Or how would you insulate the vent on the sides? Should I leave a two inch space and fill with vermiculite and concrete mix? Is that strong enough?
thanks for your help.
No real point insulating the oven where the flue sits as the inside of it is open to the atmosphere.