Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   42" build in Ontario (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/42-build-ontario-19902.html)

dochertyq 09-06-2013 01:02 PM

42" build in Ontario

6 Attachment(s)
My original plan was to build a cob oven, after seeing some very cool ones in Ireland. That plan changed pretty quickly to a 42" brick oven. Who knows, maybe I'll make a little cob oven someday with the leftover materials from this thing...
Anyway, so far so good, I got the stand up, vermiculite concrete pad for insulation, and the first five courses up by hand using a compass. I built an indispensable tool out of wood to use from here on.
Here's some pics:

Q

texman 09-06-2013 01:55 PM

Re: 42" build in Ontario

Welcome to FB forum. Great looking start. Looks like you have everything under control. Are planning on an exposed dome or an enclosure?

Texman

Greenman 09-06-2013 05:10 PM

Welcome aboard! Like Texman said, looks like you have it under control. Covering the floor bricks to keep the inevitable dropped mortar off them will save some work and leave you with a nice clean hearth.
Looking forward to following your progress.

dochertyq 09-08-2013 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Texman and Greenman, I've gotten a lot of help and inspiration from reading all the posts on this forum - it's nice being able to benefit from the experiences of others!
I'm going to build an enclosure around it, as we are in a snow belt. I think I'll enjoy working under the eaves of a metal roof in the winter, especially since winter lasts a long time up here.
I also raised the level of the oven floor so that I can look right at it without bending over too much.
I'll post more pics as the oven progresses.
best regards,
Q

dochertyq 09-11-2013 09:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, in between the nearly daily bloody rains, I have got up a few more courses of bricks. During one of the downpours I decided to build the opening arch on the workbench. I drew out the form on graph paper, then mortared in the bricks over top of the pattern. I used masking tape to cover the brick faces before I finished the job. I know, they're going to be covered in soot and nobody will know, but it's raining, and there's beer out here, and you have to do something... I'll let it set up for a couple of days, then set it in place.
I'm almost hoping that one of the thunderstorms turns into a tornado alert so that I can hide below the oven in the storage chamber - forget about going down in the cellar, the oven is the safest place on the property...

no regrets,
Q

Les 09-11-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dochertyq (Post 161657)
but it's raining, and there's beer out here, and you have to do something...

:)

Looking good!

oasiscdm 09-12-2013 03:09 AM

Hi and welcome.. nice job. Interesting way of building. Just remember to stay on bond. I noticed on last photo some vertical bricks lining up.

texman 09-12-2013 06:56 AM

Looking good. i am glad to see you are setting the arch. That will make the dome to arch connection easier to visualize for those fun cuts. you will also want to buttress your arch i think. will be able to tell once you sett the top. Keep the pics coming.
Texman

gmchm 09-12-2013 08:29 AM

Your building technique is original, at least I haven't seen it before, and looks as if it would be useful. Gary

deejayoh 09-12-2013 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks good. One piece of advice - your IT arm should hit the bricks in the center. That's what's causing the setback in each course of your dome that I can see in the first picture - see red circle
Attachment 38840